right-angle card-edge connector

Hi,

I need a very cheap (ideally below 0.8 EUR (1 k units)) right-angle card-edge connector with 8 or 10 positions. Rating: 24 V, 0.1 A per pin. Contact spacing is not critical. Any recommendation?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
Mochuelo

Yes. Never use a pcb as part of your connection. Use a 2 part connector.

Next question ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Tell that to the manufacturers of DIMM, SIMM, RIMM, AGP, PCI, PCI Express, ISA...

Reply to
Mochuelo

Which is precisely why 'reseating' a card is so popular. Edge connectors are used because they're cheap not because they're reliable.

Is this an application where reliability doesn't matter ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

SNIP

I would dispute that statement. In my experience use of card edge connectors is much more expensive than using two part connectors, mainly because they are more labour intensive to produce and require plating (usually with gold). The reason they are used on DIMM etc is because they require far less board space and they are very reliable.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I'm sure this isn't true of PC motherboards etc.

The ones used for DIMM SIMM etc at least have a locking mechanism. There are issues wrt whether the contacts are tin or gold plated though.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

What do you mean??

It is many years since any computer motherboard used edge connectors so how does this apply to PC's which never used them?

What makes edge connectors more expensive (whether tin or gold plated) is the fact that the edge connector must be formed as part of the pcb manufacturing process. Once etched, the edge connector part is then electrolytically plated and the commoning strip used to connect the pads (for electroplating) is then trimmed off during drilling and routing and then chamfered. The board handling and processing is thus made so much more expensive compared to using modern two part connectors. That's the main reason this process isn't used today, except in certain circumstances. It was not so much a question of reliability because they were at least as reliable as two part connectors.

I have found the variation in pin dimensions and receptacle tensioning on some very reputable two part connectors to be quite variable such that the reliability from batch to batch was quite poor. At least with pcb card edge connectors the board and copper thickness was fairly standard and only the socket manufacturing could be variable thus reducing the probability of poor reliability of connection due to manufacturing defects and errors by 50%.

Ross H

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Duh - oh.... It seems that we are going off at a tangent anyway... On re-reading the OP's initial request, it appears he is NOT referring to an etched and plated card edge connector at all, so what we are saying is irrelevant. It seems he may in fact have been asking for recommendations for a two part RIGHT ANGLE CONNECTOR for mounting on THE EDGE of the pcb.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

No, I'm looking for a right-angle card-edge connector (so, one part). I finally need 12 contacts, in dual row (6+6). Tin plating on the pcb edge contacts is more than enough, since there will be no vibrations, no mechanical stress, and 2 or 3 insertion cycles in total. These things are pretty expensive, compared to some two-part pieces. I can't find anything for less than 1.2 .. 1.5 EUR (in 1 k).

Thanks,

Reply to
Mochuelo

Vibration comes from lots of sources. Nothing is ever likely to be entirely vibration free.

Maybe because no-one in their right mind uses them any more.

I do hope you're not passing any analogue signals through this connection. I also highly recomment reconsidering your connection method.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

In your previous post you said "edge connectors are used because they're cheap," and now you try to justify why they are expensive. This is good.

"No-one in their right mind uses them any more." You mean that the manufacturers of DIMM, SIMM, RIMM, AGP, PCI and PCI Express are out of their minds? This is even better. Who do you think you are, Graham?

Maybe you are just angry because I didn't take your recommendation. Why should I have? You have provided no supporting data, and have shown to have quite a mess in your mind. If you can't help, that's ok, but don't bother.

Reply to
Mochuelo

I've never said they were expensive. You have. I simply commented that there's little demand for them aside from PCs, so as they aren't very popular as an industrial connector you can expect to pay accordingly.

In large quantities for PC motherboards I bet they are dead cheap. Consider what any alternative with that many contacts would cost at the small quantities you're talking about. For comparison's sake some older Macs used DIN41612 dual row 64 pin connectors. Work out how much that would cost for a typical mobo.

They are used because PC mobos have always used edge connectors for the same reasoning. They're cheap. The cost of gold plating the pcb contacts is minute compared to the other half of a 2 part connector too.

If you want to screw up your project that's fine by me. I do have plenty of experience of their failings though. I can't even remember now how many times a fix has involved 'reseating the card' !

I also know what they do to analogue sigals as well. One reason that audio gear dropped using edge connectors about 30 yrs ago ! You can hear the effect.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear : "Edge connectors ARE USED because they're cheap." Pooh Bear : "Maybe because NO-ONE in their right mind USES THEM any more."

... ARE USED...

... NO-ONE USES THEM...

Can you see at least this contradiction? If the answer differs from "yes," good luck.

Reply to
Mochuelo

You'ver had it explained. I wouldn't use a connector that's known to be troublesome in its best known application, the PC motherboard.

Please go ahead and use it but don't come back here bleating about your woes in a few months time.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

In a PC motherboard application.

They're expensive and difficult to find for anything other than a mobo application precisely because they're not popular for *anything else* !

Maybe you should stop to give some consideration *why* they aren't popular any more btw. And why PCs often need 'the boards reseated'.

If you can't see the logic in that then god help you.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear