purpose of TL081 in this circuit? - LowRippleHVsupply2.jpg (0/1)

Hi all,

I found this schematic on the web, and can't quite understand what the TL081 op amp does. Obviously, it's some sort of ripple reducer, but what does it do and how does it work?

The authors ISP returns errors with the 2 published email addresses on the website.

The entire web page is here:

Thanks,

Mebart

Possibly used as a gyrator?

NSM

Yes, I noticed that the high voltage was pretty close to the op amp and that a leaky cap or a sudden application or removal of the power might cause a problem.

Thanks for commenting.

Mebart

Clamp diodes from the relevant points to the op-amp's supply rails would be an advisable addition.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

well, personally i would add a TVS (transient Voltage Suppresser) and maybe even a Zener to help protect that op-amp from an inrush of voltage that would destroy the op-amp.. putting that aside.

what the op-amp is doing is simply using the inverting input signal back to the source to cancel the effect there for, a high gain op-amp is generally selected for this application because afterwards the end results will be small. this has also been noted in some doc's as an electronic/active capacitor. personally, i wouldn't use it but that's me!

Reply to
Jamie