need square aluminum electrolytics

I have a pick and place machine that works great for most parts. One I am having a problem with is aluminum electrolytics. I think when the centering jaws center the part, it can rotate on the nozzle. This machine does not have vision, and the jaws only extend a mm or two below the nozzle, so they miss the plastic foot of the part.

Does anyone know of aluminum electrolytics with a squared-off top so the alignment jaws will work?

I can use Oxi-Caps that are made in the same form factor as tantalums, but they only go up to 6.3 V or so, so there are some places I need to stay with the aluminum caps. I prefer not to use Tantalum for a couple reasons.

I have looked in the usual distributor's catalogs without finding anything except the round-top.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

back when I was at Semco doing the R&D on the pick and place mica machine to assemble mica chip caps, we used a vacuum finger to pick up the bits of mica and also a vacuum was present in the middle of the jaw assembly that grabbed the encapsulated body after the UV process.

We had a small rubber foot with a small hole in it to seat on the sheets for pick up..

Maybe on your machine you can insert a small rubber foot with hole down the middle and can open and close a side port to release vacuums when the jaws open and close ?

On our set up, we actually had a small needle valve port that would insert some air pressure to quickly push the item away so that it would not stick on the rubber foot to long. In your case, I don't think you would need that, just a near by port opening to remove vacuum.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Well, the same heads are used for chip passives or small ICs in SO packages, so the nozzle needs to be small enough that the aligning jaws don't bump into the nozzle. But, the real problem is the jaws will spin round parts to some extent, and I think O-rings on the nozzle would not change that. What I really want is aluminum electrolytics with some flats on the top, rather than a completely cylindrical body.

Next time I fire this up, I will try the head with no jaws, that shouldn't make any rotation of the part, and the basic alignment of the machine should be fine.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson