LEDs as lamp replacements

snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com:

Try it. Take a red LED and a blue LED. Bright enough to read by. Both outputting the same amount of light, as judged by eye, when their beams are side by side on a white wall. Read some small print for a while, or walk around a dark cluttered room using them as torches. The red light won't reveal the detail with the same clarity. That's an extreme test but it will make the point. A more realistic test, dim an incandescent till you are a little above scotopic vision, but can still make out colour clearly, and read. Try the same again with a light that is strong in shortwave light, like a Cree LED lighting the wall beside you to get a diffuse light source. Eyes try to focus to improve visibility. They'll try harder to do that if they can't get enough shortwave light to make sharp details to focus on, if you're trying deliberately to use them to see that detail. Which is where the strain comes from.

That might not happen if you're not trying to look closely at anything, but many people consider reading a relaxing activity, and it isn't if you don't have enough shortwave light to render sharp text. If people weren't so conditioned to low colour temperatures, I think there might be less people with difficulty in reading as they get older. I don't know what research has been done on this but it could be interesting to see its results if any has.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com:

Perhaps they are? I don't see how they can be, being a thousandfold smaller than what we're likely to be seeing, but if I try seeing detail with red light there's a definite lack of the sharpness of detail that I see if I use blue light. Whatever the cause of the effect, it's definitely there, and I have no known abberations of vision so I must assume I am not alone in this.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Lostgallifreyan wrote in news:Xns9970EFECC4488zoodlewurdle@140.99.99.130:

I just tried this and I have to say it didn't work as I thought. :) The blue was less bright than the red but that still didn't account for it.

I think it's probably the green part of the usual spectra we see by that makes the difference. If we use hotter tungsten the ratio of red to green favours green more than with cooler tungsten, and we're more sensitive to green, so a smaller hotter source can make useful light more efficiently than a larger cooler one. If it's biased too much toward blue I guess the same problem occurs as with light that is too red.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan