Dodgy H11F1 opto-FET's?

Has anyone got any thoughts about this:

I asked the seller about postage from Germany to UK, and sending secure delivery of euros as he doesn't use PayPal, and the seller didn't answer my questions but instead responded with this:

"We have got 2000stk (H11F1 DC/ 9922) and 1000stk (H11F1 DC/ 9934) , when you want you can buy it all. What would you pay for?"

I don't recognise those codings from Fairchild's site, so I asked about that, and why they're specified as Shmitt trigger FET when Fairchild specify them for high linearity and use as a variable resistance, something Schmitt responses aren't designed for. I allowed for the possibility that Fairchild might not be the only makers, and asked about that too. I've twice asked this now, three days apart, but the seller refuses to reply.

This looks extremely dodgy to me, surely someone who knows what they're selling would answer quickly to someone who sounded like they knew what they might be buying and wasn't sure of a few details.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Lostgallifreyan schrieb:

my

What is it that you fail to recognize? The seller seems to be less than fluent in English as he wrote "2000stk" and "1000stk" (i.e. "2000 St=FCck" and "1000 St=FCck" ) for "2000 pieces" and "1000 pieces". The Fairchild H11F1 datasheet specifies the datecode as XXYY where XX =3D two digit year code, and YY =3D two digit work week ranging from 01 to

  1. So that looks ok.

ng

He is probably fed up with English that is above his head and with technical details he doesn't know about (like what uses the things can advantageously be put to, and who in the world has made them) and may also fear trouble. It can be a headache to transfer "small" amounts of money between Britain and Euroland. Among his payment options are Cash on Collection (how does this work?), Cash On Delivery (if the international carrier cooperates), and Bank Transfer (which can be costly).

(Btw, it's "Schmitt trigger" :-).)

I had a look at the offer, and the above are my thoughts. Can't spot anything obviously dodgy here.

Martin (who owes you a reply).

Reply to
clicliclic

" snipped-for-privacy@freenet.de" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

You're the seller, or is there some other reason you owe me a reply? I didn't mean the 'stk', I recognised that means 'schtuck'. Anyway, thanks for clarifying the datecode thing, I didn't know that's what was meant there, and the seller didn't say despite me asking twice. A person who knows something can NEVER blame someone for ignorance when that someone directly asks, it's far easier and faster to answer. Re 'Schmitt', I know, but I write typos a lot.

Sending euros by secure delivery is by far the least trouble for the seller. It amounts to cash in hand, If he doesn't get it, he doesn't send the goods.

If he thought I was too much trouble, isn't it a bit odd that the first move he makes is to try to sell me the entire 3000? The auction's only for

250. I won't go for it though, if he can't tell me the postage in advance so I have that in writing before the bid is place, or tell me if he can accept a payment method I can do, I'm not having anything to do with it. Doesn't matter how fed up he might be, he's supposed to answer questions like those on eBay.
Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

That's my impression too-- a seller who likely has dubious English skills, and almost surely doesn't really understand what he is selling (It's not uncommon for eBay sellers to get stuff by auctions or whatever that they don't really understand). Of course that increases the risk that you'll get something other than what you think.. I'd be a lot more confident if there was a photo, but the first two conclusions would remain.

Note also that he appears to have tried to sell the bulk of his stock to you outside of eBay. While not unusual, it's not really kosher.

To summarize- I don't think it's a scam either, just a German guy trying to make a few spare EURs.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sounds about right. He still won't respond though, he doesn't seem to want to sell them to me. Odd for someone who a few days ago wanted me to buy

3000.

I'll have to leave it, if I bid he can charge me a million bucks for postage if he wants. He can certainly hike it up massively if he thinks the bidding was too low. And he can force a formal dispute and leave me bad feedback if he wants when I refuse to pay excess. Traps should not be walked into, it doesn't matter if they were intentionally laid or not.

There are certain basic ways to handle eBay and one of those is to answer questions from buyers, especially those that relate to postal charges and payment methods.

I get annoyed too by awkward questions from Europe either in fragmented english or not in english at all, but I try to answer every one, after taking whatever means necessary to get unambiguous translation. If I can't hack that I do the only thing that makes sense to me, I change my listings to eliminate the possibility. If I open up to it I expect to have to deal with it.

Still wondering why Martin owes me a reply. :) I didn't think anyone owed me anything...

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Lostgallifreyan schrieb:

ad

On the German eBay page

the (national) postage is given as Euro 10.00 (this excludes insurance). This is a bit on the high side, but within reason.

On October 20, the seller added the remarks "Keine Garantie oder Gew=E4hrleistung" (no warranty) and "Kein R=FCckgaberecht" (no right of return). These are probably a reaction to queries, but they are no unusual conditions either.

Martin.

Reply to
clicliclic

" snipped-for-privacy@freenet.de" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

National. I asked about international. He never answered. If answering that is too hard to do, but expecting me to go outside eBay for all 3000 is preferable then I don't want to do business with the man. As it is, none of his accepted payment methods give ANY protection for eBayers. Curious, no?

Most companies say that for new stuff too. I have no problem with that.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Within the EU AIUI, postage is supposed to be the same as national postage to any country within the Union.

OTOH if the guy won't answer questions, I'd have nothing to do with him.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

He finally responded. Took three tries over five days but it worked. He wants 20 euros to send to the UK. Steep. Very. But not insane. He wants Western Union though. While they're not as dodgy as eBay say they are, it's still true that the seller ONLY accepts payment methods that offer NO protection to the buyer! At least with insured banknotes sent by Airsure, I get to claim them off the post office if they go awol, and so far far he won't accept a method than gives me ANY cover, let alone cover against problems caused by the seller directly.

It's not a great way to do international business. If he wants to restrict that much, he ought to have appropriately restricted his market area to the country he's in.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

A demand to use Western Union is ridiculous within the EU.

Frankly he should take Paypal IMHO.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

He's in West Germany, so I agree, might have been different in East Germany still. If you go far enough east, you get to places where PayPal lets you spend but not receive. I just think he should accept euro bank notes. Most people in Europe seem to be ok with that, cash is cash. Beats paying £30 for a wire transfer. If we have to pay brokerage charges and all sorts of special surcharges and go through awkwardness of a kind that most business gratefully left behind when we got cheap computing and reduced EU border controls, then it makes eBay a nonsense, it would be cheaper to buy the parts from the original maker, in that kind of quantity.

Only way that won't be true is if the bidding is so low because of lack of willingness to jump hurdle's of the seller's making, and for that, the seller would only have himself to blame.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan