Breadboarding

I used to love that sort of thing when I was back at Boeing. The H/W contractor would build something and 'throw it over the wall'. If anything didn't work, they'd just say, "You can fix it in the software".

;-)

From the moment I picked your book up until I put it down I was
convulsed with laughter.  Some day I intend reading it.
                -- Groucho Marx, from "The Book of Insults"
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Perhaps you could just buy thin copper tape and cut out the shapes you need?

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I think I've seen that before. Still curious how well thin FR4 over a solid plane works, though. Plus, I like etching more than xacto-ing. And etching is easier for really small details, too.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

IIRC expresspcb uses proprietary software, and if you can get your hands on gerbers it comes extra. PCBExpress takes gerbers and a drill file, and mails you back PC boards.

Their 'base' service is 1 day, fairly inexpensive, no silk, no solder, two sided only, and they specify the drill sizes (I think there are 23 to choose from, however, so unless you need precision holes you'll get something close enough).

So you can pretty much use your regular design process and tools, even to the point of sending the exact same gerbers to a full-service board house when you're done with PCBExpress.

I can't imagine that some enterprising eastern European entrepreneurs aren't doing this now, at least until their countries are overrun by Russia.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

you

So near but so far !

If only I could get my hands on those Mini-Mounts.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

A bit fiddly for DILs.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

And for TVSOPs too, but like I said, I prefer etching ;-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Vectorbord used to make one, but I haven't been able to find them - presumably, there wasn't enough demand to keep making them. )-;

Sorry for the teaser. Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

If you'd sent your layout to one of those quick-turnaround board shops when this thread started, it'd probably already be done, and you could be refining it now. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Q. How many engineers does it take to change a lightbulb? A. None - we'll fix it in software.

Q: How many programmers does it take to change a lightbulb? A: Not Applicable! That's a _hardware_ problem!

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Are you crazy?? I can't afford kapton tape! ;-)

But seriously, is there a supplier for kapton that's not $25-40/roll?

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Ebay maybe?

John

How long will a roll last? Is it worth worring about the cost?

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to

On account of budget reasons the design's not yet finalised actually.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It depends on how much you want:

(scroll down a little)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

About $15 a 36-yard roll for 1/2" is easy (eg. McMaster), there are some offshore sources for $5/roll landed but I'm not sure it's actually Kapton (or generic polyimide) but maybe amber colored polyester.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

straight

as part

an show

roboard

stick

e isn't

=3D9161...

g but you

he

69

Farnel can't be far away from you, and a single board costs a bit over ten quid.

Why not order one (order code 1201481 - see above) and see?

Rich Grise's search skills don't sem to be up to much).

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

You're hired!

David Harmon

Rich Grise wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

Holy cow, that place sells everything... I dunno qwhat the OP thinks, but for my part, Good link, thanks!

Reply to
Kris Krieger