Atmel 93C46 wrong soldered

Hi,

hope someone can help: a Broadcom based network card with an external EEPROM 93C46 was in a repair session. Someone soldered the EEPROM with Pin1 to pin5. Question: can the chip be destroyed by this and what about the EEPROM contents? CS was on GND and DO on VCC...

Thanks a lot Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Mees

Not likely. One thing to be aware of - on a rotated SOIC pin 1 is a no connect. For an Atmel part, there would be an "R" in the part #.

With CS tied to ground, the chip would go into standby mode and be unreadable. Apparently, someone wanted to keep the NIC from accessing where the MAC address is stored. Why? You got me...

Is there another programmable device on the PCB?

Reply to
JW

Hi,

JW schrieb:

This makes me hope

Hmm, i am pretty sure, that someone just made an error ;-)

no, but i found one person at my company, who will resolder the chip, (they repair mobile phones), i will post the result here

Thanks a lot for your answer Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Mees