500-piece reel of D-PAK mosfets...

Imagine you have a 500-piece reel of surface-mount D-PAK power MOSFETs ready for automated assembly, and someone comes along and unpeels the reel, leaving you with a nice pile of parts in a container. Given 10 days to solve the problem, "re-reel" the FETs for assembly, etc., what do you do? Oh, and I should add, these are the last such parts available anywhere in the world until next August.

Suggestions?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

He who "unpeels" gets to hand assemble the parts ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Who was the culprit? I'm thinking that anyone that was clueless enough to un-reel these parts may also be equally clueless regarding ESD handling precautions. Are the parts in an ESD safe container?

Your assembly house should be able to hand-place these parts on the boards. The added cost should be no more than trying to put the worms back in the can.

If you really want to, I'm sure you can find a service to put the parts back on a reel. For example, I googled this:

================================

Greg Neff VP Engineering

*Microsym* Computers Inc. snipped-for-privacy@guesswhichwordgoeshere.com
Reply to
Greg Neff

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That's the other option.. 500 pieces isn't very many.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hello Win,

If you are sure there is no ESD damage and you absolutely don't want to hand-solder, is there a machine that can handle bulk-feeing for D-PAK?

If it was me I'd have a good tech hand-solder them. Or the guy that did the unpeeling. But first he needs to repent.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

D-PAKs also come in tubes (of 75). If you can scrounge some old tubes manually loading them isn't going to take long.

Reply to
nospam

Surely you've still got access to engineering undergrads?

;-)

Reply to
Walter Harley

"Winfield Hill" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com...

Delegate the hand soldering and take a well deserved two weeks holiday to Honolulu.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

Could be worse, reminds me of the time some incoming-inspection guy got a tray of 50 Philco MADT transistors ($50 each, 1960 dollars too).

He checked them all for the proper e-b b-c junction response with a trusty Simpson 262 meter on the ohms ranges. Funny, all the transistors seemed to be shorted!

Hint: on the 1x to 100x ranges, the meter used a 1.5 volt D cell. On the 10kx and 100kX ranges, it used a 22.5 volt battery.

Hint-2: MADT transistors were really fast for their time but kinda fragile-- maximum current was like 3 milliamps, maximum voltage 6 volts.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Haaa Haaa Haaa

Didn't implement propur training procedure for mongs....

Who's a big mong now?

Haaaa Haaaa Haaaaaa......

DimFuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Yes, I know, DNA, I should've watched over my 500 D-PAKs.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Time to use stick. No carrot for scut bunny.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

NO; Delegate the work to the person that did that dis-assembly...and stand over that idiot until the work is done.

Reply to
Robert Baer