Searching for a PCB layout software with embedded resistors

With Protel it isn't possible make a layout with embedded resistors, that means you can design PADs to a resistor not only to top or bottom layer for example for printed resistors on a ceramic substrate . I took a look on Pulsonix but there are some missing features. The website for Altium-Designer is telling nothing about this. Is there a layout software that is able to design embedded resistors?

Reply to
Ragnar

Pulsonix has support for embedded components. I don't actually use it, but it worked OK when I tried it some time ago. What are the missing features?

Leon

Reply to
Leon

What's an embedded resistor?

Reply to
TT_Man

It is possible to use Protel for this purpose. Ink areas are merely assigned to internal layers and a composite photoplot is made of all layers which are then separated for each screen. The resistors that you use in hybrids are then a function of the layer and thus the ink resistivity, and the pad shape through the length to width ratio. The resistors are then usually trimmed to value with a laser trimmer.

regards Sarason

Reply to
Sarason

A thick-film resistor that is manufactured on an inner copper layer.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news:91191ff5-0655-45da-8dd4- snipped-for-privacy@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Pulsonix has embedded components but else it's relativly primitive.

Reply to
Paco

"TT_Man" wrote in news:Di9Dj.767$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

You can print resistors. There have to be 2 pads and a machine prints a resistor pasta between the pads.

Reply to
Paco

Could you elaborate a little more? I'd grant that Pulsonix isn't the fanciest package out there -- something like PADS is probably a better choice if you have really good layout guys (uncommon) and truly challenging boards (also uncommon) -- but Pulsonix is definitely a solid step above what I'd consider "primitive" -- stuff like the free ExpressPCB package, possibly Marra's software (which I haven't actually tried, this is based strictly on reading the documentation on his web site), etc. (Also note that I'm not making any value judgment here -- something like Express PCB at "primitive features over zero cost" is going to be much more valuable for some people than something like PADS at "features out the wazoo but over huge cost.")

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Primitive compared to what?

Leon

Reply to
Leon

"Joel Koltner" wrote in news:BZwDj.31352$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-02.dc.easynews.com:

Sorry, you are right. I confused Pulsonix with Cadstar. It seems that Cadstar doesn't offer rounded corners at tracks.

Reply to
Paco