PSpice: Lopass filters (costas loop)

It appears as thought the low pass filters in PSpice have a rather long phase delay. Is this characteristic exagerated in PSpice or is that what I could typically see in the real world? I'm trying to implement a Costas loop, and I just cant get my vco to catch up with my RF. It appears as though the delays through the filters are too long.

Anyone every do anything like a costas loop in PSice before?

Reply to
Mikal

What low pass filters are you speaking of?

Are you aware that PLL's need a lead-lag filter? A pure low pass will be slo-o-o-ow to lock, or may not lock at all.

I just remembered this model....

  • Ideal Voltage controlled oscillator models
  • Modeled by BJanewicz
  • 4/15/00
*
  • Recommendation: Set ITL4=40 and specify a maximum time step to avoid
  • convergence errors.

  • Explanation of terms

  • Parameter Description (default units)

  • Fcenter = Center frequency for oscillator (Hertz)

  • Frange = Plus and minus range of frequency (Hertz)
  • Vmin = Minimum voltage which produces the frequency Fc-Fr (Voltage)
  • Vmax = Maximum voltage which produces the frequency Fc+Fr (Voltage)
  • Phase = Phase of output wave (degrees)
*$ ..subckt vco_sin in out Params: Fcenter=1k Frange=50 Vmin=0 Vmax=5 +phase=0

Rin in 0 1G Rtable table 0 1G

Etable table 0 Value {Table(V(in),Vmin,-1,Vmax,1)}

Esin out 0

+Value {sin(6.28318*(Fcenter*time+Frange*SDT(V(table)))+phase*(3.14159/180))}

..ends

...Jim Thompson

A PLL will lock without a filter at all.

If a filter is used it needs to be a lag-lead otherwise the loop will be unstable, not because it might be slow without a lead.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward