LAN Drawing

Hello, all. Does anyone have a recommendation(s) for a drawing package specifically for LAN (local area network) diagrams? I've been using Paraben's LAN Charter but was wondering what else might be available. I've also used MS PowerPoint but got tired of constructing my own template symbols for routers, hubs, switches, etc. (An artist I'm not). I find The 3-D look of the Paraben product pleasing. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@itd.nrl.navy.mil Naval Research Laboratory

4555 Overlook Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20375-5337
Reply to
J. B. Wood

My oldest son swears by Visio, though I've not tried it myself.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I would second Jim's recommendation of Visio. They had special templates just for network design, including a lot of different manufacturers hubs, routers, switches, etc. It's been a few years since I did my last network design, but I used Visio exclusively, and everyone was very complimentary of the final documentation.

--
Charlie
--
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Charles Edmondson

Visio sucks for wiring diagrams.

JeffM

My oldest son is a programmer and uses Visio for flow-chrting.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

package

using

available.

own template

I find

time and

Have a look at "SmartDraw" It has a full library of network symbols. However I have not used it for that purpose and can not comment on how good or bad it is.

Clarence_A

I agree. It's rather tedious to use (I think it was designed for morons), but it gets the job done. We used it a lot for documentation where I used to work.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

I use both Visio and SmartDraw. Mostly Visio because more customers would understand this format. SmartDraw seems to have more extensive library of symbols, especially in the physical infrastructure realm. So I sometimes end up drawing symbols (or meta symbols - collection of symbols) in SmartDraw and then convert them over to Visio for compatibility

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

I swear at Visio. I got a copy free when I bought my copy of SolidWorks (supposedly specifically for drawing schematics). It's miserable, I HATE it. I use my free copy of IntelliCAD instead and that is no love affair, but I don't have many schematics to draw. =========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Thanks, everyone, for your comments!