How can I stop LTSPice from using the hard drive

It was pointed to the local hard disk. But it still writes the *.raw files to wherever the sim files are. So now I ferried those to the local HD, violating a ground rule here. In the evening I must ferry all this back. T'is the rule, to make sure client files are clearly separated.

It's Linux and it does cache. Not much to set there, it's a Western digital box with only a miniscule amount of control valves. Basically you can set some permissions, that's pretty much it.

That's why I was hoping LTSpice was post 1980 :-)

It could store an image in RAM and then do all the fast stuff from there. But no ...

It's a regular Ethernet (wired) LAN. SMC Barricade router, Western Digital MyBook World with a LAN port, right next to that router.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You say you have a lot of RAM, >=2G ? Have you considered a flash drive that plugs into a USB port, or an SD or CF card if your PC will accept it.

Tam

Reply to
Tam

"Joerg" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:jESAk.1055$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com...

Hello Joerg, I just run a simulation with LTspice generating a 100MB raw-file. The simulatiomn tooks 90sec and I saw the hard disk lamp blinking about 140 times. That's by far not any stress for a harddisk.

LTspice uses internal caches to keep the waveform data. You can look traces in a 100MByte raw-file with terriffic speed. That's only possible because LTspice keeps most data in RAM too as long as you don't run out of RAM.

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

USB flash drives are freaking slow :-(

This PC unfortunately does not accept SD cards.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I'll live with it for now. If I move the *asc. files to the PC before simulating at least it grinds on the PC disk, not on the LAN server. Thing is, I do a lot of other stuff on this PC when simulations run.

But then why doesn't it keep that whole 100MB raw data file all in RAM? I am sure your PC has 2GB or more like mine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Nothing found with that number with Google or on the WDC search page.

What model SMC? Sorry to be so obnoxious about extracting the exact model number out of you, but it does make a difference. For example, if the "SMC" were a dual speed hub instead of switch, you will have performance (and reliability) problems.

Yeah, building temp files over the LAN is not a great idea. If your PC is capable of doing gigabit, you might consider replacing your "SMC" with a suitable 10/100/1000 switch. I'm surprised that you claim that you don't need the speed. I run backups from the server to DVD and find myself waiting for the network, even with gigabit. Fast is fun, especially when gigabit switches are very cheap.

No videos, photos, games, archived applications, disk images, CD and DVD images, mirrored web sites, and image backups? My data dumpster if full of this kind of stuff. Sure, your minimal applications don't require much horsepower, but they're certainly no fun.

Good, fast, cheap... pick two. You bought good and cheap, (I beg to differ about good, but perception is everything), and missed on the fast. I've never lost a customer because it wasn't cheap. I've heard some initial grumbling if it wasn't fast. However, if it's not good, I'm history. For mission critical applications and picky customers, I use two NAS boxes replicating each other with a 1 day or more delay (to allow recovery of accidentally erased files and to recover from update disasters). Backups are disk image files, so I don't miss anything, no matter how minor.

It should work (famous last words).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Hello Joerg,

I recommend you to send an email to Mike and ask for the feature of a RAM only raw-file. It's email address is in the Help->About of the LTspice program.

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

SMC 7008 BR. It never had any performance or reliability issues. Jim Thompson's SMC died a slow death, needed frequent resets, but not mine. It may not fulfill the needs of a high data volume user but is perfectly adequate for what I need it to do.

Well, I run backups and stuff during lunch and dinner time. Or I just let it trundle on in the background, there you don't even feel it.

I use the PC only as a tool. Just like pliers, wrenches and stuff. Fun for us is splashing in the pool, hiking, playing games, the pool table, going out for dinner, those kinds of things :-)

Let's put it that way, good and cheap is good enough for me and my business :-)

Last words in the west: "Hey y'all, watch this now!"

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Good idea, I'll do that. But I don't want to sound like a complainer. LTSpice is a free program and quite frankly the most excellent SPICE simulator I have ever used. There is such a thing as a free lunch :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

This brings up an interesting alternative. I used to be able to disable disk swap space entirely for a few restarts. It may still be possible. Better not have anything else running at the same time though.

Reply to
JosephKK