Another annoyance

If you hurry you can be here for the Hurricane season and the next earth quake.

Martin Riddle

Thanks for the pity :-) I'm in northwest Jersey closer to Pa. and NY state then to all the nonsense. New Jersey is actually a nice state if you can ignore the politics. (I have a hard time doing that but wife won't move) Don't bring your gun.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Hurricanes are all wimped out by the time they hit LonGuyland. And if NYC ever did have a decent quake (which it will, eventually) it will be a pile of smoking rubble.

(Having lived in New Orleans and San Francisco, I figure that hurricanes are a lot more dangerous than earthquakes.)

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Install WinZip?

Reply to
Robert Baer

--
Since NYC wasn't built above a geologically active zone, how do you
figure that?

Could be ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I was at my client's location when the Long Island quake hit. It jerked the building so bad I thought the adjacent commuter train had derailed and hit the building. By the time I uttered, "What the f... was that", everyone else had fled the building ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I know that :-)

I've been down-state Jersey... very pleasant... excellent Italian restaurants! ...Jim Thompson

Pay attention to the thread... Tom Biasi nailed it as a rogue DLL that nanny-Microsoft installed. ...Jim Thompson

Well, I read things.

"A 2008 study argued that a magnitude 6 or 7 earthquake might originate from the Ramapo fault zone,[3] which would almost definitely spawn hundreds or even thousands of fatalities and billions of dollars in damage."

Try it some time.

Personal experience, backed up by mortality statistics.

Google it yourself. A few thousand people have died in earthquakes in the USA in modern history, most in the 1906 SF quake, probably less than died in the great Galveston storm of 1900. Only about 80 died here in the '89 quake. Katrina alone killed about 1500.

Of course it's different in other countries like China that have worse quakes but no hurricanes. Or Haiti, which has both.

The USA statistics would change severely if New Madrid broke again. A lot of the east and midwest have no seismic building standards.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Cherry picking?
Reply to
John Fields

Do you know why New Jersey has more toxic waste sights than California has lawyers?

New Jersey had first choice. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

And "How does that make you feel?" Mikek :-)

Reply to
amdx

I didn't realize they were such a tourist attraction.

Reply to
flipper

I spent way too much of my life (which is to say, a few weeks) in Trenton and Freehold. Yuk. Some of the stuff along the coast looked OK. We have a new customer in Monmouth, but we're encouraging them to come visit us.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Correction: If he goes fast enough,he will CREATE the hurricane..

Reply to
Robert Baer