Why do we let the Chinese poison Australian children?

They're banned in Europe and North America and yet we buy this stuff in toys from China by the tonne. What I'm talking about are phthalates. These nasty chemicals that are known to cause cancer, as an endocrine disruptor and has a negative effect on reproductive development in humans. I've been waging a one man war against these plastic additives for some years, throwing out anything that emanated that nasty chemical smell, I just knew from the smell that these soft plastics were evil. I've only very recently found out what they are. Phthalates are used to soften PVC. Usually they are found in many products for infants like rattles, dummies and teething rings. The child then absorbs the phthalates into their system as the chemical continuously leeches from the plastic.

The Australian market is going to be the recipient of an avalanche of nasty,toxic toys that have been rejected by the rest of the industrialized world. There has even been a book written about this horror by Canadian Rick Smith called "Slow Death by Rubber Duck: How the Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Life Affects Our Health". Why are Mattel and Hasbro, to name only two of the major toys companies,still selling toys to Australian families that contain this evil Chemical?

This is not a joke or hoax it's very real. Please write to you member of Parliament, the media, to Hasbro toys, Mattel toys and basically let everyone know about this Chinese toxic assault on our children. This nasty, toxic chemical should be banned from all children's toys, and probably altogether.

More info

Clubsprint

"Clubsprint" wrote in news:gj55s9$nhn$ snipped-for-privacy@news-01.bur.connect.com.au:

Yeah it figures. I'll have a go at this one. Of course - this is Australia. The poisoners and polluters turn up, pull out the Idiot Meter - and it goes off the dial.

Reply to
Martin Clark

I wonder how many "sex toys" have a high content, they would then deliver the pthalates to the worst possible location in the human body

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Apparently enough that they are specifically mentioned.

How is that worse than the mouth, or inhalation?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Endocrine disruptors behave like sex hormones, I'm assuming a concentrated dose to the sex organs would be a bad thing and would affect reproductive function as well as induce cancers there.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Your assumptions neglect the fact then that it creates far more damage in the bloodstream, and therefore it is not the point of contact that matters as much as the degree of transmission into the blood.

Feel free to provide *evidence* to the contrary though, there may be other factors that I don't know about. However it's far more likely there are plenty of other factors no-one knows about yet.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

If they are US companies, then nothing and I mean NOTHING matters other than maximising profit, regardless of the human costs of this. Its just the American corporate way, and has other benefits, their colleagues in the medical industry can rake in fortunes "treating" and "diagnosing" these illnesses.

Not that things are great here, look at asbestos and its victims for example.

Repeatedly writing to the QLD parliament (any sort of whistleblowing especially criticising any government or court official or suggesting or exposing corruption) can get you into VERY serious trouble, if you persist after being told to butt out of it. It might be the same in other states and federally too for all I know. This is NOT good advice without people being told of this risk..

pe+co...

.
Reply to
kreed