transformer polarity question US v AU

I've just purchased a new piece of recording equipment from the US, and prior to hooking it up i wanted check whether i'm gonna frazzle my new toy. The unit's input is DC in, polarity (-)--(0--(+), the AC adaptor it arrived with is 100-240V (50-60hz) output 12V 2.5A (+)--0)--(-). Any advice is greatly appreciated. Dean

Reply to
tamam_shud
** You a member of the famous Aussie 70s rock band ??

Got a copy of "Evolution " in my LP stack.

** Sorree - your posted info is just not clear enough.

Is the DC plug the common hollow tip sort ??

More details please.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hi Phil, sorry if my info was unclear... Here's a pic of it, i hope that helps clarify -

btw. no, not a member of shud (a fan though, obviously ;). yep...evolution is mighty fine album, keep that one stashed!

Reply to
tamam_shud

Does it have a "figure 8" mains plug? If so then you can probably substitute an Australian cord. Your posted specs say it can handle

100-240V at 50-60Hz which means it handles both US and AU mains.
Reply to
rowan194

Hi, yes...thanks for the advice, it does have a figure 8 mains. So it should be good to go? Cheers Dean

Reply to
tamam_shud

it clearly shows the oz/nz c-tick approval, which "suggests" it is safe to plug in to local mains.

Don...

-- Don McKenzie E-Mail Contact Page:

Micro,TTL,USB to 1.5" color LCD

USB,RS232 or TTL to VGA Monitor
World's smallest USB 2 TTL Conv

Don McKenzie

Hi Phil, sorry if my info was unclear...

** Looks like the plug is the wrong DC polarity for the device.

You could cut the DC lead and reverse the wires with a staggered join.

** What that also the name of the surfing movie the "shud" performed live for ( Evolution ) ??

Saw it and them ( only just, hiding down in the orchestra pit) at the Sydney Uni Union theatre in 1970.

Had " Lady Sunshine " going on in my head for weeks after ......

All Lenard amps and vocal PA system - IIRC.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hmmm... so the truth is starting to surface about your Uni days hey Phil? Perhaps something questionable happened that led to you leaving Sydney Uni, never to be seen there again?????

gobble, gobble,........ gobble, gobble..........

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge
** This is not ever going to stop:

The Rutmaniac Arse Bandit has **NEVER** told us how much money the Thai pal he "imported" into Perth ripped off from his credit card and bank accounts.

He has refused, over and over, to say why he never reported the crime his Thai boy lover committed to his Bank or to the WA police.

** This post of his on " rec.travel asia " from 1997 explains the event:

------------------------------­------------------------------­---

" WARNING - Tourism dangers for Gay Tourists in Thailand

In my case I was coerced into sponsoring a Thai into Australia. I was lead down the garden path into a false sense of security about my relationship with this person. His aim was clearly to get me to purswade the Australian Embassy to grant him a visa. Once here I didn't exist after he drained my bank account and ran my credit card into overdraft.

Alan Rutlidge (Perth Western Australia) "

----------------------------- ------------------------------------

** The 1997 date pretty much co-incidences with the enactment of Section 50 BA of the Commonwealth Crimes Act.

This is the law that finally made engaging in or promoting under age sex tourism a criminal offence - max penalty 17 years in jail.

BTW

The age of consent for gay males in WA in 1997 was 21 years old.

Come on - Arse Bandit - we all need to know if you were being blackmailed.

** I do not care how many of your vile, criminal colleagues you organise to intimidate me.

It only makes you look so much WORSE !!!

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That's quite okay Phil. Just keep posting. You're the one that's going to look stupid. :-)

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

I don't think it is?

From original post: "The unit's input is DC in, polarity (-)--(0--(+), the AC adaptor it arrived with is 100-240V (50-60hz) output 12V 2.5A (+)--0)--(-)."

+ve is drawn in both cases to the centre pin. No need to reverse the lead. Of course checking the voltage with a multimeter would be a good thing to confirm this.

Ross

Reply to
Ross Marchant

"Ross Marchant"

** Your point may well be valid - but the OP would have to be mentally retarded to not realise the two diagrams were the same.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks for all your advice, i finally plucked up the courage to give it a go and it appears to work fine :), just gotta actually record something now ;)

re:Shud Yeah, it may have been "Evolution" or "Morning Of The Earth", both where Surf movies. I'm pretty sure they recorded an entire album's worth for "MOTE" and at some stage tracks where drafted in by G Wayne Thomas, Brian Cadd etc.. (to give it a more "POP" feel), which obviously worked at some level, as that LP sold bucketloads! They also recorded "Bali Waters" EP, and a rare "concept" LP "Goolutionites & The Real People" (give me a bell if you drag one of those out of the vaults ;).

Cheers Dean

Reply to
tamam_shud

I have a suspicion it was hiding down in the orchestra pit that did it, or more likely jumping out at the cute little violinist whilst wearing nothing but a ribbon :)

Reply to
Geoff

"Geoff" >>

** Reading is not one of Geoff's skills is it?

BTW

I was not a uni student in 1970.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Alan Rutlidge"

Reply to
PA shadow

Nah they were encouraged to do that sort of thing in the 60s and 70s at usyd...in fact the govt paid them to do it ;)

//Adam F

Reply to
Adam F

this

original

Phil was right to be concerned - no telling what happened to the kid. He was really tossing up some dangerous ideas.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

"Ken Taylor"

** Thank-you Ken.

Now please explain why you tell other folk to killfile me.

Reply to
Phil Allison

How about you explain why you were ejected from University what dreadful indiscretion did you commit that your future was ruined the only conclusion to be drawn from your current predicament

Reply to
Jadzax