The Kostya Tszyu Monitor Fix

"Faced with a dysfunctional old CRT monitor? Does it have large discoloured patches or does the image shake from time to time? Well, you could give it a good hard whack on the side.

In some case the blow shakes up the phosphors on the screen, fixing the discolouration."

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

"Franc Zabkar"

** Bit of an odd way of describing a detached shadow mask inside the CRT.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sounds more like a Degaussing problem to me with "Large discolored patches. The Shaking image is likely due to a transient 60 cycle field from a nearby Fan or a transformer. Hitting the side of the case will always solve the problem. If you hit it hard enough! Just protect yourself from the flying glass.

Yukio YANO

Reply to
Yukio YANO

** No way thumping the CRT will ever fix that.

** Transient 60 Hz field ??

Like when a transformer wings on past - right ??

** Wanker.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I thought it was called Percussive Maintenance.

Reply to
L.A.T.

The subject line sounds like a good name for a bad Sci-Fi movie. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So Franc, how do you suppose the three beams find their respective phosphors after such a shake?

I have, however, seen mechanical stress reveal bad solder joints.

Reply to
Lord Garth

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 03:30:10 GMT, "Lord Garth" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'd suspect that the phosphors would be randomly scattered, probably at the bottom of the glass, in which case the monitor would need to be returned to the factory so that they could be glued back on.

Every real tech recognises the merits of a tap test. However, I've never had to hit a CRT hard enough to dislodge its phosphors.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

phosphors

So why pass on poor information such as the above 'good hard whack '?

Reply to
Lord Garth

It was supposed to be funny.. :)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:28:10 -0500, "Lord Garth" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I passed on this disinformation so that we could all have a laugh. I never expected that any genuine technician would see it as anything else. Presumably we're all real techs here, not PC board jockeys.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Never mind. There is a sort of cosmic synchronicity on this newsgroup whereby the posts that are meant to be funny are often taken seriously and many plonkingly serious posts are inadvertently hilarious.

Reply to
L.A.T.

Actually it was due to a large Blower-Fan motor in the Lab next door, I would guess that the fields would vary with the load on the fan.

I now look in the labs, above, below, behind and beside the Monitors in question. The real solution is a LCD monitor, That is the only solution in a room with Huge magnets for Mass Spectrometers and NMR work !!

I first saw the transformer effect working on a Commodore Pet computer, It took a few minutes to solve until I realized why the problem would go away when I propped open the cabinet to see if I could see the problem.

Yukio

Reply to
Yukio YANO

It had to be but someone might take it seriously. I'd have added a ;-) on the end if I was kidding about.

Reply to
Lord Garth