Tarnished silver

Hi to all,

got a number of Speakon connectors yesterday that have solder pins on the back for PCB mounting. Unfortunately, they must be very old stock and the once shiny silver plating has gone very dull and brownish - naturally they are not easy to solder.

What is the best way to remove the ( silver sulphide ) tarnish and make the pins solder friendly again ??

BTW:

I am using old fashioned 60/40 " Savbit " five core solder.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

G'day Phil

I have cleaned up resistor leads & similar with steel wool, admittedly steel wool strands are not a good thing around pcb's but with care perhaps ?? The other thing (that I have not tried) would be a rub with alfoil ?? Even a dab of "The forbidden compound" might get you through. Maybe a rub with Duraglit wadding might clean them up too.

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

A possible alternative to steel wool is the cheapo green kitchen scourers. Might we worth a try.

Microscrub would be ideal if it was still around......

Reply to
Dennis

"Rheilly Phoull"

** Shame they ain't silver plated.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A fiberglass eraser works pretty well on small pins and surfaces. At least the residue is non-conductive, unlike steel wool.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

"Adrian Jansen"

** Que ???

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

F Murtz

There was a thing that silver tarnish could be removed by dipping it IIRC in an aluminium pot containing salted water (or it might have been a mild alkaline - but I think salt). A rub with properly wetted aluminium foil might do the job.

Reply to
David Eather

Here you go!

Reply to
David Eather

RS had one in their latest specials flyer also. Only just noticed it about an hour before logging onto this group for today.

Reply to
kreed

ALAS so true !!

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

** Got any idea what chemical " Tarn Off" contains.

It dissolves the sulphide quite quickly.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thiourea and phosphoric acid and a bit of detergent.

Reply to
F Murtz

Hmmmmm, best not to use the coffee mug for it then ??

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Jaycar sells them under a name Corrosion Buster Pen, NA-1410

tOM

Reply to
Tom

**Why?

Read the label on a Coca Cola container sometime. No detergent, but plenty of phosphoric acid. Pretty handy stuff, phosphoric acid. It's food grade and you can even use it to clean your swimming pool chorinator.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

**Here's some possible remedies (I've tried most)
  • Commerical silver cleaner (Silvo).
  • Toothpaste.
  • Baking powder and water.
  • Place a sheet of aluminium in the bottom of a frypan. Add some water, baking soda and a teaspoon of salt. Bring to the boil. Add the silver pieces. Rinse carefully.

**I had no idea there was another kind of solder (worth bothering with).
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Yep anybody required to meet ROHS *must* use non lead solder. Surprised you aren't aware of that.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

and