Surge Protector

Is it recommended for my new TV and sound system, or just another rippoff.?

Reply to
Tim

**Rip-off.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Until the first electrical storm, or the power company has a transformer go arse-up.

Reply to
Doug Jewell

Simply switch the whole lot off at the wall, you'll save a bunch of standby power too. Surge Protector isn't a bad idea though, but like audio cable, you can pay ridiculous amounts of money for marking fluff that gives you zero extra benefit. A cheap surge protector power board from Bunnings or wherever will do the job, don't buy one from the shop.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

A surge protector is not enough for a *direct* strike (which is very rare indeed) but it is useful for nearby strikes and general static buildup, which are infinitely more common. So yes, worthwhile. Quite different to monster OFC speaker cables and similar snake oil!

Reply to
Sally

And one more thing. Switching off at the wall is useless. Unplug completely from aerial and mains (but not when the storm is already on you!)

Reply to
Sally

The models I have are afordable and come with an insurance , certainly wont do any harm .

Reply to
a t e c 7 7

**Dream on.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

*useless*?? It's certainly better than having a direct copper connection when the appliance is switched on.

Yes, unplugging is better if you are that paranoid, and happen to be home at the time.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Well, I certainly won't be buying anything from rage audio. The website link is engineered with similar care...

Reply to
Sally

Reply to
Sally

Direct copper connection is *worse* than having an extra air gap in series by having the switch turned off. That does not mean your device cannot still get zapped with the switch off, but having the switch off is *better* than having it on.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones" wrote

Direct copper connection is *worse* than having an extra air gap in series by having the switch turned off. That does not mean your device cannot still get zapped with the switch off, but having the switch off is *better* than having it on.

Dave.

*****You really haven't got a clue,have you?

Wota wanker!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian g

Reply to
Brian g

You appear to be interfering with yourself bwian perhaps stopping would be good.

Reply to
a t e c 7 7

As always, an incredibly valuable contribution from Mr Goldsmith.

*rolling eyes*

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

You would probably be better served by checking that your insurance covers damage caused by "fusion".

Reply to
dmm

"David L. Jones" wrote

As always, an incredibly valuable contribution from Mr Goldsmith.

*rolling eyes*

***** Roll away, you still haven't got a clue! Wota clueless wanker.

brian g

Reply to
Brian g

Reply to
Sally

Yes. Direct copper connection is obviously worse, and so switching off does improve protection. But the GPO air gap (typically 1-2 mm) for 240V is still far too small for a direct lightning strike (already perhaps 5 km).

Reply to
Sally

Of course, and that's all I was saying, glad you agree. The thread is about "surge protection" in general, not just lightning strikes.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones