shorted turns

Need help with shorted turn info. I am aware of eddy currents caused by shorted turns in a transformer or solenoid driven by an A.C. voltage. Also that a D.C. solenoid can have a metal former as there is no alternating current to prduce eddy currents. But I wish to build a solenoid D.C. driven, but switching off & on at about 3 Hz. Will a shorted turn ( alluminium former) cause a problem. (efficiency is very important) All constructive comments welcome. Davey

Reply to
tyuo59

A metal former will slightly slow down the buildup and decay of the magnetic field. Unless you need the solenoid to snap in and out extremely quickly, my feeling is that it probably won't be a problem. All you can do is build it and see how it behaves...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Thanks Bob, I do want the solenoid to act as fast as possible so I will slit the former to make it open circuit. Too hard to rewind as it will be 1007 turns of 2.0 mm wire. Davey

Reply to
tyuo59

That's one mean solenoid! Good luck with it. :)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker