Thermal resistance of small SMDs versus Copper Pours

Hi

I am looking into how much I can dissipate in a 0805 or 1206 resistor.

A discussion on SED about the topic a while back:

In the discussion:

Qoute

There is a National datasheet somewhere that has a bunch of examples of various-shaped copper pours and their thetas. Maybe someone here remembers which it is.

Unqoute

So what I am trying to find is that Natinal datasheet or app note. Google was not my frind after extensive search :-(

Anyone got that app note in their archive?

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Den onsdag den 4. december 2013 12.02.50 UTC+1 skrev Klaus Kragelund:

maybe this is the one?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yes, it certainly has very good information on the subject, thanks :-)

It's kind of strange that apparently no information (including thermography plots) of dumping power into 0805 and 1206 resistors exists.

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

We've done a bunch of work on this, keeping resistors cool with copper pours. You can push an 0603 to at least half a watt if you keep the end caps cool. The central hot-spot temperature of 1206 through 0603 resistors are about the same at equal dissipation if they are on big pours.

0805 on small single-side pours:

1206 RTD:

(note the delta-v cursor values on the first and last. I flubbed the middle one.)

To really cool a resistor, the pours should be on multiple layers, stitched by close-in thermal vias. Use as thick copper as you can, 1 or 2 oz.

There are AlN substrate resistors with astounding power ratings.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

This is pretty good even though the resolution of figure 7 is poor:

If you have to push performance within a given real estate consider side-contact resistors for increased heat transfer:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's a nice trick, using the RTD for both the power dissipation and measurement, will reveal the correct thermal resistance delay

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Good stuff, thanks for the link :-)

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

You can figure out theta from those pics. I've done it a couple of times and never remember to save the numbers.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You may be looking for Nat Semi AN1025 for SOT23. AN1028 covers patterns for SOT-223 There was one for SOIC parts, but I seem to have mislocated it in electronic format.

Strangely enough, there are app notes with the same numbers from Fairchild.

RL

Reply to
legg

Also - check out IR AN994.

RL

Reply to
legg

AN1029 is SO8

RL

Reply to
legg

For a good time, google "Package and Thermal Information" to see some thermal images for different package patterns from Infineon.....

RL

Reply to
legg