Re: Fixing old Fluke DMM, why the carbon resistor?

> > I zapped an old Fluke 23 yesterday by inadvertantly applying about > > several KV which burnt a 1 Megohm 5% carbon composition resistor which > > is in series with an overvoltage MOV type thing with a split in it. > > This resistor is connected to the + input. > > > I don't have the service manual or schematic, does anyone know if this > > needs to be replaced with a carbon, other resistors are metal film? > > The service manual is here (two parts):
> 23 is the same as the 73. > > Parts list shows it as a "cer" type, that would be ceramic. > > Dave.

Got it, thanks Dave.

Reply to
geoffjunkster

** Nonsense.

"cer" indicates a " cermet" aka " metal glaze " resistor.

Got it, thanks Dave.

** But where ??

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Not at all. Could well be ceramic composition, like this one for example:

Designed for high energy surges and the like.

The actual part number is in the BOM if Geoff is interested to know what the exact one is.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 22:01:50 -0700 (PDT), "David L. Jones" put finger to keyboard and composed:

R2 has a part number of RG1/2-105M-5%. and is described as ...

Res, Cer, 1M, 1W, 5%

FWIW, the following datasheet is for RG series "PRECISION NON MILITARY METAL GLAZE? RESISTORS":

The RG 1/2 types are rated at 1W, 5%, ±200 ppm/°C.

The construction is described as "Metal Glaze thick film element fired at 1000°C to solid ceramic core".

The Fluke manual lists the following resistors from the same manufacturer:

R1 Res, MF, 1K, fusible, 5%, p/n FA8466 R20 Res, WW, fusible, .36, 2W p/n SPF3605

FWIW, IRC also have FA8025 series (FA8225, FA8325, FA8425), 2%, metal film, flameproof resistors on a ceramic rod:

... and SP20F series 1W, fusible, wirewound resistors:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

"Franc Zabkar" "David L. Jones" "Phil Allison"

** QED.

Good research - Franc !

.... Phil

Reply to