Re: CFL Burns Home Down

** See news story:

> > This USA home owner did not do anything silly or wrong here. > > There is simply NO SAFETY warning, anywhere AT ALL to suggest a CFL > might burn your home to the ground - maybe several years after you install > it. > > The lack of compulsory fire safety standards for CFL is an outrage - as is > their inherent incompatibility with so many fittings and housings.

It would be covered in the USA by UL standards.

If cheapskate importers choose to sell unapproved CFLs then THEY should pay the bill. And be prosecuted and if necessary placed in insolvency and completely shut down.

OTOF the twit who buys a CFL without a valid safety mark can expect what he gets.

Increasingly. and especially in the EU, IEC standards for electrical safety should make such problems extinct.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Eeysore"

** Shame how they are NOT COMPULSORY even in the USA !!!!
** As usual - Stevenson has not the faintest idea what he is crapping on about.

No compulsory labelling, warnings or fire safety standards for CFLs exist.

They are sold like any other electronic product - with EMC approval, basic electrical safety and little else.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I do not know any US state that does not require its own electrical approval. At Neve we used LA City approval which most other disrtricts were prefectly happy with, as it was one of the toughest.

Pure UL approval would have been better but those guys are idiots.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore