Question for Sylvia: Splitting AV output

**Bollocks.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

**For the same reason that some drivers prefer Model T Fords. They make a statement about the person.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

copper

hear

I guess it depends on what equipment you have. I tested various leads on my audio system years ago and could hear differences between leads. I even tried household electrical cable, and that can work well as a cheap alternative. It also depends on the length, as you say. You might not notice the/much difference between leads if they are very short. Even if there's no difference in audio quality there can be tonal differences, which can decide a users preference. I must confess however that I missed that you were referring specifically to audio leads, since the discussion was originally about A/V equipment. In the case of quality vs cheap video leads the difference is very noticeable. I can even see the difference between the various grades of Monster cable that I use. And It comes down a lot to experimentation also, and compatibilities due to differing specifications between various brands- assuming you have a mixture from different makers as many ppl do. For example I get the best picture with Monster cable level 1 leads with my Foxtel IQ box. If I use higher grade the picture is actually worse, because the signal level becomes too high.

--
rgds,

Pete
-------
"Oh no!! we're out of chocolate!"
Reply to
felix_unger

**Like most over-simplifications, that is wrong.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

With audio sockets on the rear panel of amplifiers it's totally unnecessary since the connection is so tight when the cable is connected there's no air space for oxidation to occur.

--
rgds,

Pete
-------
"If Julia is the answer, then what was the stupid question!"
Reply to
felix_unger

But 'at the end of the day' you have an audio system to listen to music. What's the point of having a system you can pride yourself on as having some incredibly low distortion figures if it doesn't sound good to you? And everybody hears differently.

--
rgds,

Pete
-------
"I'm not young enough to know everything"
Reply to
felix_unger

I didn't say that the ear was digital, but the processing by the ear involves the generation of nerve pulses by hair cells with the frequency being encoded into which nerves are triggered, and amplitude by the the pulse rate. What the brain gets is hardly analogue.

Sylvia

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Yes.

Using that line you can just mangle the music electronically as much as you like so that it sounds even better to you.

And that is in fact precisely what some kids do.

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

ct is

That's self-contradictory, David. You're essentially saying that loudspeakers aren't electronic devices.

Reply to
Wolfgang Wildeblood

Okay, but others have not heard the difference.

DavidW

Just as well you corrected that. I wondered what tin had to do with this.

Reply to
DavidW

Not at all. You should have learnt by now not to go after me in the area of expression and comprehension.

Nope. I did not say that gold plating is very useful for _all_ connections in _all_ electronic devices. I said that gold plating is very useful in electronics, but I did not say to what extent.

Reply to
DavidW

Yes, I went to a friends place to play an Album he had a Valve amp the turn table (top of the line) and four Speakers (top of the line). There seems to be a "feel" of music as well as audio excellence that comes into effect. My own system was no slouch but this pleasant feel of lows and highs can't be digitally shown (yet). Live concerts in

*proper* auditoriums are the way to hear and feel good music
--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

I still prefer component (analog) video to HDMI (digital). It looks smoother more natural somehow, and better colour. Of course you need to have good equipment.

--
rgds,

Pete
-------
"Somebody complimented me on my driving today. They
left a little note on the windscreen. It said, 'Parking Fine' "
Reply to
felix_unger

Oh we are in for one of those "I can hear above 22kHz" arguments "but I don't need to prove it even to myself of course!" :-) OK, there are higher sampling rate options just for you! :-)

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Everyone gets an opinion which proves nothing about absolute performance, only their personal auditory/brain connections.

And can be done so quite well, with performance FAR above any purely analog system despite your spurious claims.

Which is the usual fallacy of using two completely different versions of a recording and pretending they are the same when all you are testing is the mastering differences and an individuals preference for one level of FR, distortion, noise etc. over another. Preferences are like assholes, everybody has one, and those who think theirs is the only one that counts are the latter.

Bugger all! :-)

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Dead right, but then they have no idea what analog is. An "analog" tape recorder using high frequency bias can be modelled as a sampled system, just the same as a digital sampled system, but without the binary encoding. Both use filtering to reconstruct as analog signals in the usual definition of the word long before they ever reach the speakers, and then the auditory system changes it all completely once again before it is interpreted by the brain. The weakest link of course is the auditory/brain interface, something the golden ears claim they alone are immune from, as long as they don't ever have to prove it! :-)

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

Right, poor quality ones are often mechanically unreliable. Of course good quality ones are not as expensive as the "magic smoke and mirror" ones :-)

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

**_I_ don't claim to be able to hear past 22kHz. I don't doubt that some can, however. Back in the 1970s, I worked for a medium sized importer of hi fi equipment. I was asked to pop down to the new warehouse that the company had leased. I walked in the door and immediately walked back out. I found something intolerable about the place. I glanced around and spotted some ultrasonic burglar alarm sensors. I located the power supply and shut it off. I was then able to complete my job. I returned a few days later with a micrphone, preamp, CRO and frequency counter. I switched the system on and off and was able to see, very clearly, a high level of 25kHz signal throughout much of the warehouse. Given that I had already measured my own hearing and found that I could not reliably hear past 19kHz, I was surprised. However, it is a common fallacy to assume that human hearing 'cuts off' at 20kHz. It does not. It is severely attenuated.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

That's the beauty of uncontrolled tests conducted by themselves with significant time gaps and all. You can delude yourself into any result you like, but as long as you are happy, all is fine. When they claim their self biased *opinion* to the world as fact though, they look like the idiots that they are. However there *are* differences in cables of course, using long lengths of bell wire with giant amps is silly, and some interconnects have significant inductance or capacitance that can cause problems in some cases. But the biggest difference is usually the mechanical qualities.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor