PHOTO's : 500/1000 Mhz Spec'ys

Dear Readers, thank you all for the comments re my FAST LOADING Website.. That's because I deliberately choose NOT to upload time consuming Photo's !

However.. since I cannot please everyone ... I will glady provide Photo's of these Spec'ys - simply Email your request & I will follow up.

Thank you for all for your enquiries...

Cheers.

Alan.

Alan Devlin.

RF RESALE... where Honesty & Integrity are paramount ! Melbourne, Australia.

WEB PAGE URL

alandeletethisdevlin

Hi Alan, I can't see how a few 50KB photos would be a problem. You can put a seperate link to the photo if you still want the main page to load fast for those with dialup.

Try selling something on eBay without a photo, no one is interested. Photos sell. Regards Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Alan, you can always provide links to pictures, and have the web site load in much the same time.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:       http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics

I agree Dave :) A word is only worth a micro-picture. If you ain't got pictures, you can't rock and roll in this game. Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:       http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Getting the basic HTML to load is independent of how long the photos take. The web client loads the HTML first, then the photos.

You can also automatically put HEIGHT= and WIDTH= tags to help HTML rendering, as I have done here:

gtoomey

Reply to
Gregory Toomey

Hey Alan, I don't want to be too negative, but I think you're missing the point if you think your website is good because it's "fast loading". I'm going to be blunt - your website is a train crash. The opening page has poorly-formatted text, starting out in ugly light-red, then alternating between black and red.

All of the image links on the index page are broken - hint: you need to create a subdirectory called "indexredirect_files" and throw "dog.gif" and "hacker.gif" into them, or correct the image source tags.

The item pages suffer from the same random, distracting and unstructured use of colour, font size and weight. I'd suggest you do a little study on the use of tables, and look at how other sites structure their information so as to make it easily scanable.

You do have great gear on offer, your business has value and deserves to do well, but you are selling yourslef short with an amateurish-looing web site.

Oh, and pictures would be of genuine value, and you can use techniques such as thumbnailing to keep load times down.

Reply to
Poxy

the

Yes, it looks like a very bad example from a decade ago. Check out what others are doing. Thumbnails and the proper use of .jpg compression ratios are the key to adding photo's for dial up users.

Fix the text, colors, and layout first though!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I've got to agree with those comments.

I'm sure we'd all love to see some photos on there Alan, it would make people want to browse around and salivate over the gear on offer. I know I would.

A program like Irfanview can make thumbnails in a snap and resize all your images for fast loading. It can even generate HTML pages for you. A small thumnail for each item with an enlargment when you click on the image would be ideal.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

The HEIGHT= and WIDTH= tags only tell the browser what size to display an image. They don't do anything to the file size of the image, so it actually takes longer to display the image at a specified size because you have to download the entire image, then the browser has to manipulate the image to fit the box you want to stick it in. It also works the other way. You can have a 25 pixel by 25 pixel image and tell it to display it 250 pixel by 250 pixel. You end up with a large, blocky image because each pixel is displayed 10 times in each direction.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, but I don't think that's what Gregory was talking about. He was talking about setting width and height to the true width and height of the image so that the browser can properly lay out the page before the image is loaded.

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

yes, but a milli-picture doesn't have a verbal ring, does it? :-) Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:       http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Actually, a thousnd micropicture or one millipicture accoerding the old Fred R. Barnard quote: "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Alf Katz