[OT] WIKI - what / how ?

I've been looking for a means to easily share files with a third party via my personal webspace. Files would include word docs / PDFs / some source / executables etc.

I stumbled across some articles on WIKI's which may be what I am looking for. I found the page below comparing WIKIs which suggests that security / log in access is possible.

(posted to aus.elec by Dave Jones along with mention of the MediaWiki engine)

Any thoughts / suggestion - will a Wiki do what I want?

If it is of any relevance I'm not experienced in HTML etc.

thanks rob

Reply to
Rob

Just upload the files to your personal webspace and give the third party the URL. Nothing fancy required.

Reply to
swanny

Yes, that is all that is required. Then people will see a list of files which they can download. Although with Internet Explorer you can only see a limited number of characters.

You don't need HTML experience these days, even Microsoft Word can generate a basic HTML web page for you. All you need to do is save it as "index.html" and upload (via FTP or IE) to your personal website. Your ISP should have step-by-step instructions on how to do this. Lots of ISP's also have auto-generating online website creation software.

A Wiki is not really want you want, there would be too much mucking around. A basic index.html web page is best.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks for the replies guys. I've done the basic website set up in the past - no probs.

Apologies - I should have mentioned that I need the capability for the third party to "login" then download / modify & upload files. The files should not be easily accessible to the general public - ie if someone really wants to hack in they probably could but the files need to be generally secure.

cheers rob

Reply to
Rob

That will depend on the facilities available from your web server host. There may be a variety of security options to allow users to log into parts of your site, the most common being directory access controls enforced by the web server (eg apache htaccess).

Reply to
swanny

Ah, then you need a set up FTP access to a directory. Most web hosts will give you this ability and it's fairly trivial to set up. Although if it's a personal homepage on an ISP you may not have this feature, in which case you also won't have the ability to set up Wiki's or anything else but basic HTML pages. A $5/month web hosting plan will solve all your problems here. FTP access is very secure, basically no way in without the password.

Ask your ISP if you can setup FTP access.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

party

files

third

not

Cheers Dave, I'll give them a call and see what they say. I've got a feeling I won't have an alternative login/password pair other than the one I use for access (I'm still on dial-up). regards rob

Reply to
Rob

share both ways? or are you giving and they getting?

possibly. but maybe what you want is a VPN.

the next question is will your web host let you run a WIKI, do they provide the services needed to run one...

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Sounds like you want a private FTP server. or possibly a virtual private network.

OTOH, would it be acceptable for them to submit the altered files to you via email?

or if your web host supports server side scripting you could set up something that accepts http uploads.

Or you could just give them the password to the website, if you trust them.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

third

not

via

them.

Cheers Jasen - the latter may be the simplest solution. Thanks rob

Reply to
Rob