OT: Phoenix Lander

An image from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter of the Phoenix lander landing on Mars the other day, in descent with parachutes deployed. Very cool photo!

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jerkoff"

** How bloody typical of DL Jerkoff to post misleading info.

Despite what the pic shows - the Phoenix Lander did not descend into a crater on Mars.

See the explanation given by NASA:

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

wow! great pic, I hadn't seen it. thanks Dave.

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Dan N

Wow, what a hole. The ought to name it 'Sydney' (unless they've already named it of course).

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

It's called "Heimdall" crater.

Jealousy is a curse you know.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

**Really? Who took the photos?
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

And a great pic of Phoenix and the scattered hardware on the surface:

from

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@z16g2000prn.googlegroups.com...

Yeah, it's really cool. One of the coolest space photos ever taken IMO.

The HiRISE camera aboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter

But it could have been someone aboard an F-302 with a Nikon, I can't be entirely sure.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"Trevor Wilson"

** Usual damn paparazzi - of course.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"David L. Jones"

** Huh ???????????????

Two tiny white dots superimposed on what looks like a bomb crater is no cool pic.

Long, long way from really interesting.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"David L. Jones"

** Yuck - more blurry white dots.

A great space pic is NOT one of some NASA craft with a damn * crater * in the background.

My idea of a REALLY GREAT space pic would be one showing the Mars lander with a * Martian critter * poking its head up in the background !!!!!

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Here you go:

Unfortunately the critter is too far away so appears as those dreaded blurry white dots. Once it gets more curious I'm sure we'll get some better close-up pics, just like the one the Mars rover got a few years back:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yeah, with his Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator in his hand. :-)

Reply to
Bob Parker

** Not my idea of a great space pic at all.

Something that look like a large, hairy spider would be sufficiently mind blowing .

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hmmm. Not a fan of Marvin the Martian from the classic Daffy Duck cartoons, I see.

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker"

** Seems he arrived on Mars some time ago....

What I had in mind was just some curious " critter " who happens to get photographed by accident - and thereby causes the greatest world-wide sensation in history.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

--
Every journey begins with a single step.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Yeah, that'd be great if it managed to get into the public domain ...

Reply to
Bob Parker

Phil! You said something funny! Maybe there is hope for you.

Bob

--
== NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to uncontrolled
SPAM ==