OT: Newsgroups again - bottlenecks and timeouts >:(

For the past week getting access to newscene has been frustrating - to the extent that I am using the Westnet news servers to post this message since newscene isn't even fetching new message headers at the moment.

Is there somewhere to find out if others are having the same trouble as I am? None of the '.usenet' newsgroups carry anything other than one or two miserable little spams.

I did an extended ping for about 2 minutes a while ago and got a 48% packet loss (okay it dropped back to 11% later).

Is there something going on over in the US that's affecting our connections and how *do* you track the health of the internet? Is there an internet news site that lists outages and blockages etc with current reports so you can say "Oh I see, such-and-such.com is experiencing technical difficulties?" (that would be useful).

The trouble with the internet is that if there's a bottleneck it's difficult to trace and impossible to do anything about, worse still you can't tell if it's transient or stable. (I'd say the bottleneck I've got is pretty stable, after a week, and I may have to ditch my usenet provider, even though it's probably not even their fault.)

Reply to
Tim Polmear

"Tim Polmear"

** I use "individual.net " based in Germany ( Uni of Berlin) for usenet access.

It is not free of cost but is very reliable , compared to the likes of "tpg", "bigpond" and "optusnet".

However, this afternoon was VERY slow and annoying with several minute long breaks where the "host" did not respond.

Maybe Malcolm Fraser *should* have said " .... usenet was not meant to be easy " !!!!!

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Berlin) for usenet

Yes we all know and they don't care how much abuse and filth you dish out on Usenet either do they? So Phil why not tell the original poster how many ISPs have pulled the plug on you now?

TT

Reply to
TT

frustrating - to

post this message

at the moment.

same trouble as

other than one or

got a 48%

affecting our

internet? Is there

with current

experiencing

bottleneck it's

worse still you

bottleneck I've got

usenet

I'm with Westnet and have not seen any problems at all. BTW you can log on as a Member and see the NGs straight from Westnet's site. The Bottle Neck just may be at your end ;-)

Regards TT

Reply to
TT

"TT"

** = Terrance Graham Tencer

1 Basilica Drive, Pelican Point 6230 WA

Business hours:

** If I ever informed your ISP of the criminal activities I know YOU have been doing with your usenet access YOU would never be able to use the internet again.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I also use individual.net. Been very reliable.

If I'm some where that blocks ports etc , I use groups.google.com as a backup.

If you isp uses pipe or one of the similar peering services there are a few servers on those, but only keep a day or two of messages

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

I would expect disruption to web access and access to news.westnet.com.au as well if the problem was either my equipment or the line to my house, but these services do not seem affected. I again tried connecting today and got a timeout while retrieving 300 headers and it choked again on my attempt to retrieve a message. I don't seem to have a problem accessing the newscene web site, and it doesn't matter whether I try news-east.newscene.com or news-west.newscene.com, they're both as non functional. Ah well - I guess it's off to find a site I *can* reach.

Reply to
Tim Polmear