OT: It's WAR! EEVblog ripoff

Check it out:

Wow, déjà!

Good to know I'm popular enough to get blatantly copied in an attempt for ad revenue

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Los Angeles USA is about all I can find out.

WOW! That is a blatant ripoff, but I think you already said something like that Dave.

Getting revenue on your input.

What (if anything) to do about it?

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Product Sellout: 15% OFF 4DSystems OLED Displays & modules.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/micro-oled.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Whois:

Registrant: warvideoblog.com 547 Skinner Hollow Road Haines, California 97833 United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc.

Domain Name: WARVIDEOBLOG.COM Created on: 16-Jul-08 Expires on: 16-Jul-10 Last Updated on: 10-Apr-09

Administrative Contact: Bryant, Jerome K snipped-for-privacy@warvideoblog.com warvideoblog.com 547 Skinner Hollow Road Haines, California 97833 United States +1.5418563392 Fax -- +1.5418563392

Technical Contact: Bryant, Jerome K snipped-for-privacy@warvideoblog.com warvideoblog.com 547 Skinner Hollow Road Haines, California 97833 United States +1.5418563392 Fax -- +1.5418563392

Domain servers in listed order: NS33.DOMAINCONTROL.COM NS34.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

hosted here:

web04.lax1.pronethosting.net (209.151.224.237)

send 'em an email!

i enjoy your blog dave, we can't have people blatantly ripping off your hard work now, can we?

cheers,

tim.

Reply to
timbo

Unfortunately the site is set up so it appears to be owned by you and then cleverly links to your content so it's going to be almost impossible to stop it.

You should do a blog about it and discuss what you think of such weasels as well as a short preface to all you videos: "Unfortunately some opportunists have tried to hijack my content for advertising purposes, so I am categorically denying all involvement with any site other than my own site www.xxx.yyy.zzz and YouTube where the videos are hosted"

It's not as bad as the site that blatantly plagiarises an article about making PCB's including photo's and diagrams then passes it off as their own content.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Wow again, this gets even more impressive:

It looks like the site is doing a live mirror of my site, but automatically replacing all references to "eevblog" with "war video blog", even in the forum posts!

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Shame there's no legal way of punishing people like this.

--
- Mike
Reply to

Yeah, could be anywhere on the planet really. I've managed to block his IP address on my server, so the site is now down completely. But I guess I'll have to re-anable it for a while so I can actually prove to his host that he's scraping my site so I can get him shut down.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

ut

I wonder if similar previous events ever have inspired hackers to add optional "vengence" capability to Wordpress. Allow certain selected IPs to see an alternate version of your blog! (The all-g***se 2girls graphic channel? The gigabyte-GIF interest blog?)

Reply to
Bill Beaty

I think there are legal ways, but the illegal methods are probably more satisfying. So this was done to boost ad revenue? The only real "ad" on the site seems to be Dontronics, and the URL seems legit. But perhaps he gets a nickle if someone clicks through his site? The links to Digg, Reddit, and StumbleUpon have warvideoblog in the URL, so maybe those clicks give him some fast cash?

Hey, I just returned to warvideoblog and the account has been suspended! I may have been the last one to view it (about 15 minutes ago) before it got TOS'd.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Yep, got him! "This Account Has Been Suspended"

10 minutes after me sending the DMCA takedown notice to the web host!

That fight was just too easy, no fun at all!

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

**'Account Suspended' is all I get. It seems you've been successful.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Time to blog about it and what you think about these people.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

I was going to do that, but now it wouldn't hillariously show up on the fake site, so there is less fun in blogging about it now!

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

David L. Jones Inscribed thus:

Hi Dave, Its got to be worth a blog, if only as a warning to others that might try the same trick.

Anyway keep up the good work. I find your blogs quite enjoyable and very entertaining. :-)

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

egistrant: warvideoblog.com 547 Skinner Hollow Road Haines, California 97833 United States

Domain Name: WARVIDEOBLOG.COM Created on: 16-Jul-08 Expires on: 16-Jul-10 Last Updated on: 10-Apr-09

Administrative Contact: Bryant, Jerome K warvideoblog.com 547 Skinner Hollow Road Haines, California 97833 United States +1.5418563392 Fax -- +1.5418563392

Technical Contact: Bryant, Jerome K warvideoblog.com 547 Skinner Hollow Road Haines, California 97833 United States +1.5418563392 Fax -- +1.5418563392

Domain servers in listed order: NS33.DOMAINCONTROL.COM NS34.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Reply to
osr

If someone on the east coast woke at 6:00 am and called him that would be 3 am his time, think he would want to talk about it? Oh someone else might wake up at 6:30 and want to talk. If some call at 7am EST. the phone might be off the hook. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Google maps says we were not able to locate that address.

Reply to
amdx

A free t-shirt for the first pics of Jerome?

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Likely was just a junior script kiddie.

Reply to
JosephKK

Odd, the number is list to a family in Haines Oregon. Area code 541 is in Oregon, not California. Do you think he didn't want to be found? Mike :-)

Reply to
amdx