OT: Energy saving mode in an oven

Pure speculation here...

If it had electrically-adjustable vent and a humidity sensor, it could reduce venting and power input whenever the humidity was low enough to need less venting. That would save power.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

The Miele electric oven that came with the house I bought recently enters what it describes on its display as an "energy saving mode" once it's heated up.

What the hell is an energy saving mode for an oven? It has to maintain the set temperature, and that will require drawing as much power from the mains as is lost in heat to the surroundings. The only way it could save energy would be to be better insulated, which would hardly be a "mode".

Some marketing inspired gimmick?

I wondered whether they were making some unsupportable claims in their marketing literature, but I can't find a mention of this mode.

Sylvia

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Sound like a load of crap to me, for the reasons you've already outlined. As you mentioned, in using an oven you generally want a consistent temperature... so how does this magic 'mode' manage to flout the laws of physics? Sounds to me to be pure marketing bullshit.

Now that's a curious thing. I wonder what some of the consumer orgs would make of that?

Reply to
Jeßus

** See:

Boils down to automatically turning the oven off when not running a cooking program and a few minutes before the end of a set time to use up residual heat.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Your oven has, energy saving mode, my Fisher and paykel fridge has a "Sabbath mode".

Reply to
F Murtz

Does it play their entire discography?

Reply to
Jeßus

Ice & Water display Sabbath Mode In Sabbath Mode alarms, lights and displays are deactivated. Sabbath Mode can be activated or deactivated by holding down the , and button for 4 seconds. Once in Sabbath Mode: The interior light will not turn on when the refrigerator is opened. Door alarms will not operate. Display will not be illuminated. Electronic control panel will not work, only a small candle icon ( ) will be displayed on the screen. Note: if power is turned off the refrigerator will automatically continue in Sabbath Mode once power is restored. Sabbath Mode will automatically deactivate after 80 hours. User warnings Your refrigerator is clever enough to diagnose its own problems. It will alert you when there is a fault. Filter reset The filter reset icon will appear when the water filter needs changing. This will flash when dispensing water. To change the filter and reset the filter icon refer to pages 24 ? 25. Fault In the unlikely event a fault occurs the icon appears on the front of the display and a fault code will be displayed on the left in the screen. When the door is open the refrigerator fault alarm will sound. To silence this press any button on the display. Please take note of the fault code and contact our Customer Care Centre. Details of Customer Care can be found in the back of this book. Fig.19 Fault code display

Reply to
F Murtz

Crikey... my fridge just keeps things cold. Good that you can disable all that stuff, or at least the aspects of it that might disturb you.

Reply to
Jeßus

Very useful if you happen to be Orthodox Jewish I suppose

Reply to
keithr

I thought people may have thought that I was making some obscure joke, but my fridge does have a sabbath mode PS I don't listen to much music,so I would not what Sabbath was.(seems it must be a band)

Reply to
F Murtz

Interesting choice of name, really. Some atheists might take exception to it.

Oh come on Fred!! Black Sabbath were a world famous band even back in late sixties and only became even more famous and legendary in the following decades. I just can't see how you wouldn't be aware of them, no matter whether you liked their music or not :)

Reply to
Jeßus

Oh well it's not like offending atheists is going to get you killed.....

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

>> PS I don't listen to much music,so I would not what Sabbath
>> was.(seems it must be a band)
>
> Oh come on Fred!! Black Sabbath were a world famous band even back in
> late sixties and only became even more famous and legendary in the
> following decades. I just can't see how you wouldn't be aware of them,
> no matter whether you liked their music or not :)
Reply to
~misfit~

Haha, very true :)

Reply to