Need circuit to produce 3 modes of audible confirmation

I need to make a circuit that will produce either one, two or three short consecutive beeps depending on the input signal it recieves. For example:

Input 1 = One beep (could mean 'ON'). Input 2 = Two beeps (could mean 'OFF'). Input 3 = Three beeps (could mean 'ERROR')..

This is just an example. The 3rd one is not critical, but would be nice.

I want to be able to add it to practically any circuit which will provide audible confirmation of the circuit's current operation. I was thinking of using a PIC to do this, but is last resort (as I know absolutely nothing about them).

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jason S

If you know nothing about PICSs use an AVR instead their chips are a little more flexible one good feature is 2.7v-6v operation - handy for battery powered devices:) a hardware and software to program them is about the same price, (prebuilt/kit/diy)

some questions: 1 are the beeps to repeat or are they edge triggered? 2 what if imput 1 activates after input 3 had activated and sounded 2 beeps already?

--

Bye.
   Jasen

of

Use a PIC. The learning curve will be worth it, and as you want to add it to 'practically any circuit' you will later appreciate the flexibility.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I must say I'm a PIC fan. Atmel (AVR's) have a bad habit of increasing prices and poor supply. Microchip are very consistent and well sourced..

At the end of the day just about any small FLASH micro would suit this task

-Andrew M

Reply to
Andrew M

Tried Picaxe? Cheap, and so easy even I can program them.

Jordan

Jas> I need to make a circuit that will produce either one, two or three short

Reply to
Jordan

No, i know nothing about PIC's or AVR's, but sound interesting! I guess you could do almost anything with those from 1 chip.

well I was thinking once the required beeps have occured, then it should stop completely until the input signal is removed - the only way to make it sound again is to reapply the signal.

arrgghh, good point. you mean like the signal slightly overlapping? not sure. I will somehow make it so that the "new" input signal is ignored until the previous beeping cycle has finished... like add a delay circuit.

Reply to
Jason S

Thanks, I'll definately consider it.

Jase.

Reply to
Jason S

Thanks Andrew, I'll keep that in mind =).

Jase.

Reply to
Jason S

You could have three "one shots" use a 555 timer but the 555 is limited by how you could use it at a "one shot" so "one shots 1" goes for one second so "one shots 2" goes for two seconds so "one shots 3" goes for three seconds then you AND those outputs with a 1/2 second oscillator going to a *pizo* buzzer or use the outputs to turn on a oscillator will that is the rough idea, will need fine tuning and there is mostly one more problem that needs to be ironed out.

Of course it would be good to learn about a PIC then if you wanted say different frequency beeps just a case of changing the program.

Input 1 = One beep (could mean 'ON'). Input 2 = Two beeps (could mean 'OFF'). Input 3 = Three beeps (could mean 'ERROR')..

This is just an example. The 3rd one is not critical, but would be nice.

I want to be able to add it to practically any circuit which will provide audible confirmation of the circuit's current operation. I was thinking of using a PIC to do this, but is last resort (as I know absolutely nothing about them).

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
Eric