Monitor High Pitch Whistle

A friends monitor is occasionally emitting a pretty uncomfortable high pitched whistle.

You can give it a knock and it may drop the intensity a bit, but will often come back again later. Changing the display width also may reduce it for a while but he says it is still there.

I assume it is a physical problem yes / no ?

Any ideas on solutions?

TIA,

Bryan

Reply to
Bazil

The likely culprit is either the LOPT on the circuit board, or the scan assembly on the neck of the tube. Some people have had luck using superglue dotted anywhere they can see a join where ferrite pieces are clamped together. The glue then wicks into the joints and sets. YMMV

Apart from the normal unplugging from all power and other equipment, be VERY careful to ensure there is no HV stored in capacitors or by the CRT. Not usually lethal, but can cause galvanic responses in muscles that tears flesh on sharp bits of the chassis, or even propels the monitor off the bench. An imploding CRT is not something you want at your feet!

Reply to
Bill Bailley

Thanks Bill,

HV points noted. How long does the glass hold charge for after switch off?

Bryan

Reply to
Bazil

I can remember picking up CRTs to put into TVs and accidentally brushing the ultor and getting stung........... This was outta the box from the mob that regunned them.........

So I would say that the charge can last a long time.........

Mitch.....

Reply to
Mitch McCreath

And a quick discharge does not seem to finish the job. My memory tells me I was stung from CRT that had been discharged, and then seemed to gather some more charge from somewhere. If you can keep a wire link from the ultor to the aquadag you will be pretty safe.

Reply to
Bill Bailley

That's why I asked. Because of the nature of glass, the charge takes time to travel and a quick short will not discharge it.

But I will try and be careful, and if you never hear from me again, send an epitaph.

Bryan

Reply to
Bazil