Looking for data on old power transistors marked 108

Hello hobbyists and enthusiasts, at a trash and treasure market, I picked up a nice heatsink with 5 large power transistors on it. I was thinking it would make a nice series regulator section of a home built power supply.

I have searched the net for data on the transistors but have not had any luck. Perhaps you chaps with old data manuals may have some information.

The transistors are round, the diameter of a 20 cent piece, and just over 1cm thick Stud mounted.

They are marked like this

466 108 6314

The 108 is in very large printing so I believe that is the type number.

6314 is probably the date of manufacture (1963).

Any info appreciated, Regards, John Crighton Hornsby

Reply to
John Crighton

The fact it is on a heatsink, bare aluminium I guess, makes me think it is IBM proprietary series regulator. Not sure if I have any data, I moved 18 months ago and some things had to go. I will have a look for you.

--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?
Reply to
John G

"John Crighton"

** Is there maker's name or logo on the devices ?? Device maker's always brand their products - so if it is missing then the number is not the maker's part number.

If the equipment maker has his name or logo printed on the device - guess what ?

Septics just * loooove * to re-brand and re-number devices to suit themselves and confound others.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Found the part number then Goooogle found:-

John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?
Reply to
John G

I have a very old list that shows IBM 108 transistor:

Germanium, PNP, BVO 40, IC Max 5000Ma, VCE Sat 1.0V, RT 0.7 C/W. There is also a column that I can't quite read - appears to have heading "B" (Beta ??) showing what, look like 15 for the 108.

I never got to do anything with the identical transistors that I scavenged over 25 year ago, so if you need some more of them. . . Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

Hello John G, Phil and Andy, thank you for your efforts, much appreciated. I would never have found that info. You are correct John G the heatsink is bare aluminium with nylon standoffs since the transistors are secured directly to the heatsink, no mica washer. Blooming amazing that you know this assembly from way back.

Andy, when you say you never got to do anyrhing with the identical transistors scavenged 25 years ago, I think you should have this heatsink for a power supply project or whatever. You have a heap of spare odd ball stud transistors that would fit in the holes of the heatsink if the originals blow.

The heatsink is yours for free Andy, you have kept those "come in handies" long enough. :-) Use 'em up.

Regards, John Crighton Hornsby Heights

Reply to
John Crighton

hi,by the way my name is michael,and i have some link that i think might help you,

this link may give some ideas to make you projects easier!

Reply to
mhyk

One day mhyk got dressed and committed to text

Ohh Hell Yeah!! Just chocka block with old "geranium" transistors and info :_)

-- Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Funny you should say that. The list where I found the "IBM 108" information shows it with a three leter code GPP, with an explanation at the top, and I quote, "CODE 1ST letter - G - Geranium S - Silocon ..."

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

Often used with Tantrum capacitors in the good old days.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

LOL :)

Reply to