Looking for a replacement capacitor

Hi, the timer on my heating hast stopped running, its a mechanical driven by a small motor conected to 230Vac, the problem is a capacitor (the only other component) that is in series with the motor. I shorted the cap with a multimeter and the motor started running again.

The cap has the following info printed on it:

.1/10

250V ~ MKP1.70 .1/10 250V ~

What should I use as a replacement? What is the value exactly .1uF/10? Which I assume is 10nF, true?

What exectly is the cap for?

Cheers Brian

Reply to
Brian

Got the info in another NG. Thanks

Reply to
Brian

0.1 uF 10 percent tolerance 250 volts AC

The capacitor probably provides a phase shifted current into a second set of motor windings to give a rotational field. With the capacitor shorted, your motor may run but with low torque, failure to start or possibly overheating.

Please be sure to use a part designed for mains operation.

Dick Smith Electronics : catalogue no. R-2628 looks OK.

Roger Lascelles

Reply to
Roger Lascelles

Roger,

most of this was discussed in another NG. You verify the ratings that the others finally arrived at.

Brian