Line Powered Corded Phone - again

now

so

safest way is to have a button you press that kills it for 10 mins or so at a time. Maybe start with a small "chirp" every few seconds to warn that the time out is approaching, and decrease the delay between the tones.

PIC based device would be easiest, though could be done with 555's

Reply to
KR

The voice frequencies on a telephone line only extend to 3.4kHz, so I doubt you have exceptional high hearing based on your statement and observations.

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

If you leave it off long enough (hours?) the exchange (on request of a third party?) will 'buzz' you.

this is a much louder noise than the dialtone you get upon first lifting the handset.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

"Alan Rutlidge" >>>>> Yes, the telco switch will kill the circuit after some time.

In the context I stated that I had been tested. Testing was at a hearing clinic and I do have exceptional high frequency hearing. I never stated that a phone was used to test my hearing. What you are probably missing is that a hearing test consists of both frequency and amplitude tests. These are randomly mixed. During the test, the subject can't see the test giver. You only raise your hand when you hear a tone in the headphones. They test left & right ears together and individually at various frequencies and amplitudes. The whole procedure was about a half hour in length.

As a general rule of thumb, the ability to hear high frequencies goes together with low volume since the ability is based upon the area of the tympanic membrane and how taut is that membrane. Usually a large area implies a loose membrane but not always.

Reply to
Lord Garth

I'll bet that was funny!!!! The headphones I was given where rather old but they did work.

I'd agree that the telco has everything to do with me hearing the warble. The odd thing is that the cat kicked the receiver off hook only last weekend. Lately he has taken to walking on the phone as I'm having a conversation. I suppose he simply wants attention.

I'm glad there is no quick dial button for 911 service!

BTW, Ninja is a tomcat I rescued from my crappy neighbors. He's fixed but he does have his nails. He'll sharpen them on a tree then run up to hunt for birds. I haven't had a pet in 30 years and never were any past pets cats.

Reply to
Lord Garth

I had my hearing tested once too as part of a job appointment. They stuck me in a booth with headphones and a push-button to press when I heard the tone. No tone came so I never pushed the button. They ran back in screaming and doing hand signs saying I must be legally deaf! My first response of course was to jokingly scream "WHAT?? with my hand to my ear! You guessed it, the button was faulty. Once fixed I eventually got well above average too.

It's almost certain that your being able to hear the phone in the next room has more to do with the phone system were you live than your low volume hearing ability (as having exceptional hearing you must have the volume turned down too of course?) It looks to be not possible here in Sydney with a conventional phone at full volume. And of course it cuts off after a minute anyway.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones