ICs from Futurlec

I received 100 PT2258 ICs from Futurlec a couple of weeks ago and just fitted the first one to my prototype PCB this afternoon.

It ran very hot. I assumed I had made an error with the board design, but that was not the case. I fitted another IC with the same result. I discovered that both ICs read about 3 ohms between the Vcc and analog ground pins. I've now tested 22 of them and 10 of them read less than

60 ohms. The rest are over 30K. Of course, I don't trust any of them.

Looks to me like these have been subjected to a static discharge, and if so, is a first to me in over 25 years. I have a good anti static procedure, so am very confident it didn't happen here.

I had small concern when they arrived as the tubes had all been cut in half and they were not in a metallic bag, but I've had CMOS sent this way many times in the past (although, not from overseas) without any problems.

Anyway, I've e-mailed Futurlec to see how they handle this, and wonder if anyone else here has had a similar problem with Futurlec or another supplier.

--
- Mike
Reply to

I've bought quite a lot of ICs and FETS from Futurelec, always wary because of the price, but so far I've had no problems, although I have probably not squeezed the chips to their spec limits.

All the best Ian Macmillan

Reply to
Ian Macmillan

I ordered 50 LM7555's from them and was supplied a non CMOS low power version (HA17555). I pointed this out to them and they agreed it was the case and a supply mistake on their part. I had to buy from Farnell instead and three months later 50 LM7555's showed up in the mail from Futurlec.

Reply to
Mark Harriss