HELP

Hello

Can someone explain why the freezer section of my refrigerator is working as normal but the lower section seems to have thrown in the towel. It's just your ordinary garden variety fridge, six years old. Does this mean expensive repairs?

Glad of your help

regards Kate

Reply to
kathleen spencer

If it's a frost free you might find that it has iced up at the back, where the cold air is supposed to flow down to the fridge. This might be caused by the heater not working (or the timer that switches the heater on having failed). It might also be caused by poor door seals on the freezer causing a lot of moist air to be sucked in which ices it up.

Reply to
swanny

working as

the

the

failed).

moist

Reply to
kathleen spencer

I guess it depends on what you mean by expensive. I think we had the timer replaced on ours last time when it showed this problem (you can check by looking for ice at the back of the freezer) and it cost a couple of hundred dollars.

Reply to
swanny

"kathleen spencer"

** Too much beer, not enough ice cream .......
** But it is just one fridge, so no statististical analysis can apply.
** Nope.

Long as you buy another fridge.

BTW -

you are waaaay off topic.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

No he's not off-topic, unlike you, he has the power connected, Now if you wanted advise on your kero fridge, that WOULD be off-topic.

Now the fridge with the fault, make sure all the drain lines are not blocked, turn the thing upside down, and run it for a couple of days. That should sort out the gas lines. bassett

Reply to
bassett

"bassett"

** She IS way off topic .

See the name of this NG ??

Just the word: "electronics ".

Means nothing to you, obviously.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

So why are you posting here? Not much hi-tech crap in a 1960 flippy toaster. :P

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Hi All

Nothing obvious to me, so called for help this morning. Repair work done, Defrost timer & Defrost terminator replaced. $160

Thank you for your advice, it was appreciated

Regards Kate

"Alan Rutlidge" >>>

Reply to
kathleen spencer

: > Can someone explain why the freezer section of my refrigerator is working : > as : > normal but the lower section seems to have thrown in the towel. : : : ** Too much beer, not enough ice cream ....... : : : > It's just your ordinary garden variety fridge, six years old. : : : ** But it is just one fridge, so no statististical analysis can apply. : : : > Does this mean expensive repairs? : : ** Nope. : : Long as you buy another fridge. : : BTW - : : you are waaaay off topic. : : : : : ...... Phil : : : Hey Philthy fridges are out of your league! Stick to toasters will you?!

TT

Reply to
TT

If you run it upside down and it is a sealed unit type it will stuff it propper (Oil leaves sealed unit and it burns out)

Reply to
F Murtz

Rubbish.. so explain to us how Oil can escape from a sealed unit.

Or do you also have a kero fridge bassett

Reply to
bassett

You could turn a kero fridge upside down but kero would leak Sealed unit fridges are designed to be vertical .The oil is mixed with the refrigerant and mostly stays in the sealed unit and keeps motor winding cool.If you turn it upside down and run it the oil leaves the sealed unit and runs into the piping and the sealed unit burns out

In the old days (kero and electric non compressor fridges (different refrigerant)they used to turn them upside down for a while but not run them Dont know what connection rubbish has with refrigeration

Reply to
F Murtz

could it be the fan that draws the cold air down to the frige part. thay go on when the door is closed.

Reply to
ZACK

Kinda, Its like running an piston engine upside down. The oil is not much use in the tappet covvers.

Reply to
The Real Andy