Grundig Satellit 300

After operating OK since the repairs I did after dropping a curtain pole on this radio a month or so back, the LCD is playing up.

If I perform an operation that clears the display, and enter an 8 digit, it looks normal enough. If I enter a second 8 digit, some of the segments of both digits (the same ones in each case) become fainter. If I enter a third 8 digit, the segments become fainter still, and so on, until they're pretty much invisible.

This suggests an issue with one (or more) of the backplanes.

The signals going in look normal enough, and in particular the backplane signals don't change as I enter additional digits.

Any thoughts before it ends up on the tip?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Is there a contrast control that got broken as well? What other LCD legends etc other than the main 8 digit display ?

Reply to
N_Cook

Can't see anything that adjusts contrast.

The LCD doesn't have that much other than digits, but those that it has seem to work normally.

The digits appear thus

XXXXXX X X X X X X ...... . . . . . . XXXXXX

Where XXX denotes segments that work, and ... denotes segments that don't.

All the digits are failing in the same way, including a small digit that denotes a channel number.

Since my original posting, I surmised, by cutting tracks, that these segments share a segment common, as do the top three. So then I connected them the other way around, with the result that the digits come out wrong or garbled, but the same three segments misbehaved.

The connection to the LCD is via an eltroconductive rubber strip, which seems OK. Seems to me that the LCD itself is failing. Seems a strange failure mode though.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

pole

digit,

backplane

So probably a crack in the glass at the backplane connections and so some silver loaded paint perhaps, if lucky and an exposed area.

Reply to
N_Cook

le

t,

ne

.

HAd a similar problem with an LCD on a controller pendant that was dropped. On desassembly of the display module, it was found that, as N Cook suggested, one corner of the display glass back plane was cracked, disconnecting two metalization tracks into the display. Unfortunatly, the breaks were under the epoxy seal between the top and bottom plates of the display, making a repair with silver condictive paint impossible. I was able to replace the display plate with an identical one from an obsolete pendant and get the newer one working properly. Neil S.

Reply to
nesesu

Not entirely inconsistent with dropping a curtain rail on it, I suppose :(

I can't see any defects.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

this radio a month or so back, the LCD is playing up.

looks normal enough. If I enter a second 8 digit, some

I enter a third 8 digit, the segments become

signals don't change as I enter additional digits.

I have always found faulty LCDs to be unrepairable. They are too flimsy in construction, high impedance tracks etc, If its got a clock function, you might salvage a 32kHz crystal. Otherwise the tip.

Reply to
Yaputya Leftlegin