Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent? - Page 2

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Thanks, yeah that's a thought, leave the existing switch as-is and just use
this to feed power to the 'low speed out' side of the switch, using it's own
switch. (I can't get near the wiper motor proper, at least without major
surgery. Best I can tell it's fitted into the 'well' below the windscreen
before the top part is welded on.) I have been considering splicing this
into the first stage of the switch then changing the second stage to normal
speed continuous and doing away with the 'fast' speed. However if I do that
I might need a diode on the output so it's not back-fed during continuous
use - if that's likely to bother it - probably not as it'll be going into an
open relay.

Actually the use of a diode (or two) might be handy if I can't get the
interval short enough to do a one wipe cycle. The voltage drop might slow
the motor enough ... (Thinking out loud.)

They do that or I wouldn't even be considering this project.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

It is highly unlikely that is in a welded in space, it would be able to
be removed,even if difficult, without cutting any body.

  I have been considering splicing this

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Yeah you're right. I just went out and checked. The linkgages and spindles
the wipers fix to are all inaccessable in the 'gully' but the motor is
mounted underneath with the drive spindle to the linkages going through the
firewall.
--
Shaun.

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

That's a shame, on some vehicles they're about the easiest part to
get to.

Exactly. An open relay won't be bothered by it at all. Just make
sure you wire the power connection on the relay to a constantly
active positive supply, not the power from the low speed motor
line. otherwise you might power the intermittent circuit even when in
continuous wipe mode (not that this will cause any problem except
unnecessary wear on the relay). Actually this will only be a problem
if the relay wired in the "normally closed" position, I don't have
time to check whether you'll need to wire it up like that or not
to get it to begin stroke as soon as the intermittent mode is turned
on.

Not likely. A bunch of diodes in series might make enough of a
difference to the motor speed, but this will reduce the torque
of the motor as well, and generally be a rather poor way of
solving the problem.

--

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

I know - not in this car though.

I'll spend more time thinking on it when it arrives and I've had time to
play. Thanks for the advice, always appreciated.

Yeah, was a tangential thought while typing. Must learn to leave those out
... ;-)
--
Shaun.