Engraving bit for a mill

Hi,

Does anyonw know where I can get a fine engraving bit, 10-20mil with a shank size between 1/8 and 1/4 inch?

Thanx

Reply to
Chris

You could try your nearest friendly Dremel tool supplier (eg Bunnings), except they'll have smaller than 1/8" shanks (which shouldn't present a major problem if you're able to use a collet or pin chuck for the job). 3.0 mm most likely.

I haven't got a clue as to what 10-20mil might be as I'm only familiar with microns, millimetres and thou's. :)

Dremel have a couple of sizes of milling cutters for engraving as well as diamond tools (for glass, ceramics, etc).

-- John H

Reply to
John_H

Mil = thousandths of an inch?

That makes it a bloody small (and therefore very fragile) engraving tool, though...

Peter

Reply to
Pete

Correct, I can buy them from the states that go down to 4mil and have a

1/8inch shank which whould be ideal, but I have to order them in lots of
  1. If I cant find any here I'll have to order them

I've tried the dremel bits and they are rather bad. The smallest is

0.8mm or 31mil, which is ok but idieally too wide. They also are a flat end mill which cause problems with the > John_H wrote:
Reply to
Chris

Try Trans-United Circuit Supplies Phone (07) 55766766 Dean.

Reply to
dean

I don't know if OSG bits are suitable, but they're available at Crest

dmm

Thanx, I'll check them out I also went to an engraving shop and they gave me a catalog for a shop in Perth, 1/4" x 2" inch shaft solid tungsten, double ended, down to

5mil or 0.127mm for $26

Chris wrote:

Reply to
Chris