Enclosure for computer (ATX) power supply

I'm getting back into electronics after 35 years. Had this GREAT idea for a cheap power supply for my breadboard projects - buy a cheap computer power supply which provides +/- 5 & +/- 12V, put it in a box, and voila! a simple cheap lab supply. Easy - right?

No - try as I might I cannot find a simple aluminium box with internal dimensions at least 150x85x180 for under $100. Ideally I'd like one of those tarnsformer enclosures that come with a handle, but where does one get a largish aluminium box these days? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

(Can anybody suggest a better newsgroup for this question? There seems to be a lot of off topic, and childish, stuff here)

Reply to
Marc Hillman

Before you go to any trouble it would be worth checking the exact specs of these things including low load behaviour and high frequency noise. They're designed specifically for digital service, with a defined load range. For low signal analog work, for example, you might find the rails are devilishly noisy, and that sort of noise can be hard to filter.

Hope that's on-topic and grown-up enough for you. Cheers

Reply to
Bruce Varley

What the hell are you guys talking about electronics on this NG !!! It's people like you that clog up normal dialog on politics and commerce that the group was designed for. Why not bug out to a more appropriate NG ??

--
Cheers ............. Rheilly P
Reply to

"Rheilly Phoull" schreef in bericht news:dKqdnZuSxbgLWEDXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au...

Yeah, this group is at least as noisy as a PC power supply. :)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

And while you're at it you could put a mother-board and hard drive in and you'll have a free computer along with your power supply.

Reply to
Davo

A mini-tower PC should do the job nicely, & will cost bugger all.

   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

If you're just after a computer switchmode power supply, can't this be obtained from any computer left out on the street for council pickup?

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Andrew

Don't laugh. My desktop machine has the +12V taken out through the rear panel to a flying lead. Comes in *very_handy* (tm) when programming two-way radios.

Reply to
who where

A bit of skip raiding got me a pile of fibre-optic network repeaters, each one contained a PSU module with separate switchers for the 5 & 12V outputs, so either rail can be used on its own without loading the other.

Reply to
ian field

Indeed. ;^)

   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

I've done the same thing when I've needed 5V or 12V for some device or other. The easy way is to run an HD extension power cable out an unused expansion slot.