Electrical Tagging - A license to print money

LOL

Maybe Jim's Jim. To manage all these tradesmen coming round.

--
Regards

Kevin Martin

To reply - delete what is "not required" (Abbrev) from my address.
Reply to
Kevin Martin

All? considering the fees why else would they charge like the proverbial srcubb bull ?

Reply to
atec77

I suppose you want everything at 3rd world prices but you want western service?? I vote we pay you 50 cents an hour.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Sorry, but considering that we collect and return all the leads for them and all they have to do is plug them into the tester, press a button and slap on the tag, I think over $5 for an IEC lead might be a tad expensive. But I have since heard of another person that charges $10/IEC lead, so I guess I should think ourselves lucky.

As it turns out $5/IEC lead is actually small fry compared to what they charged for the whole job company wide, $35K for a weeks work.

That of course is beside that fact that the whole thing is crock anyway, but that's another story!

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

If you've ever done electrical tagging you'd know it's the most boring job in the world.

Friday

Reply to
Friday

That's why they get the apprentice to do it and pay them McDonalds wages. Guess there won't be many takers for Jim's Test'n'Tag huh? Jim's Home Theatre sounds like a much more exciting prospect! :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Still has to be signed by the tradesman (at least in WA) and it's the tradesmans license number that goes on the tag so the tradesman is still responsible for the apprentices workmanship.

Friday

Reply to
Friday

"Friday"

** See the para headed'"Testing using a plug-in tester" :

Care to think again - before Friday ?????

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Is that the same for NSW?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones"

** Read my earlier post.

Or do your own Google search.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

To their workshop?

Yep. you could also do a few calculations to see how much it costs to set up a similar business

1) you need to be certified, then put money aside for recertification. 2) you need to buy (make?) the test. 3) you need to buy a vehicle, and put money aside to replace it. 4) you need a workshop (not everyone has a big garage and their are capital gains issues with a home office 5) you need an office and associated stuff 6) you might need to pay for a book keeping service unless you can do it (more training) 7) can you GST returns?, other wise you pay someone for that. 8) tax returns, Say $1,000+ for an accountant 9) Insurance; no fscking idea on this game, but $30K was one figure I was given for one arera. 10) Repay any loans 11) start to pay yourself a wage. 12) put money aside for sick days, holidays, etc 13) Put money aside for your super (in some form)

So work out how hours per week and weeks per year you want to work, take half of that[1], then work out how many cords you can test per hour, then work out how much per cord you need to charge.

[1] apart from paperwork time, servicing your equipment time, office time organising work, not many jobs are going to bring the leads to you and many sites will have you chasing leads.

Yes, it might be a crock of shit for the testing, but there must have been something that lead to this requirment for cord testing.

Reply to
Terryc