EEV blog nonsense ?

Thanks. I'll check out more of her videos and decide whether to subscribe. Looks good so far.

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

Yeah. However there are a few old favourites that keep sounding better, thank the gods.

Eeek!

Don't worry my bubble was burst many years ago. ;-)

Yeah I'm aware of that but materials science has come a very long way very quickly in the last couple of decades and the neodymium bar magnets used in these Philips tweeters are crazy powerful (and this is coming from someone who's familiar with strong magnets, having pulled quite a few HDDs apart and had the blood-blisters to prove it). They're only about 5mm square and one of them ripped a small screwdriver out of my hand from 5cm away. I thought it must have gone through the Kapton-esque membrane but was surprised to see that the magnet decellerated the screwdriver even faster than it accelerated it. and it hadn't touched the diaphragm.

So I've noticed. However I have a partition between my dining area and kitchen where I'm currently sitting two of the LX700 centre speakers on end (as psuedo-MTM boxes) as a stop-gap measure and they sound quite good in both rooms. Obviously the mids are less loud in the kitchen but just having dipole tweeters makes the music quite listenable to from behind - if you know what I mean. Also there are few reflections in the dining room as the speakers aren't near walls. I'm considering custom building speakers to go there.

Cheers,

--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
~misfit~

I'm overdue for a listen too, maybe later this arvo...

Nice, I am not familiar with those but they look the goods and have positive reviews.

The stuff available only in Japan is mind blowing, both new and old gear.

Reply to
Jeßus

They're by far the best speakers I've heard - and that's saying something as, before I became an invalid I was reasonably well off and audio was my passion.

them (second-hand). They're very thick MDF with the interior coated in a black rubberised sealant stuff.. Also there are shaped braces inside a bit like the frames you'd see in a boat only cut from 25mm MDF.

They're basically two speakers using the same cabinet. The top is a ~25l acoustic suspension enclosure with the (sealed back) 25mm carbon dome tweeter and one brace above the 160mm kevlar cone mid / bass driver filled with dacron 'wool'. There's a thick MDF seperator then the bottom chamber is bass reflex system for the 160mm kevlar reinforced paper cone woofer. The 18 dB / octave cross-over is mounted on the bottom of the partition and there are three braces in the lower part and it's lined with 40mm thick foam (as well as the black coating). They're almost like a large 2-way and integrated subwooferand they're *very* well made.

I saw a set of 2 x K90EDs, 2 x K30EDs and another CNK10ED listed for auction last week with a start price of $1K. The 90s are the same as the 70s only taller with a second (sub)woofer and go down a few Hz lower. The numbers [70, 90 etc.] are volume in litres. It didn't make it's reserve but if they weren't ~600km away I would have been sorely tempted to get my credit card out, then if the 90s are as good as I think they will be, selling my 70s to recoup some of the cost.

Heh! That said I'm quite happy with the SS-K70EDs.

I know right? There must be a lot of very serious audiophiles in Japan that's for sure.