Dangerous Auto-transformers Back

** Hi to all,

Back in 2002, Jaycar informed me by email they were getting rid of all their 240 / 120 volt auto-transformer step downs and replacing them with isolation types. This was on the grounds they were rather less than safe and an impending ban by the Fair Trading in NSW.

The impending ban turned out to be a furphy, but the electrocution risk to users was and is very real.

Now I see that Altronics have three, highly dangerous examples on sale - in *plastic* boxes and with no earth connection supplied, since only a two pin US outlet is fitted.

The blurb on the label on each unit reads:

" WARNING

Auto transformer construction. Use only one appliance at a time. Not to be used on portable appliances medical, dental or hand held appliances, electrically operated toys or appliances designed to operate in water or other liquids. "

The warning, taken as written, excludes practically every USA made item a person might be expected to connect to such a transformer - so it is clear that the makers are well aware it is highly dangerous.

Ebay is currently facilitating a flood of old and collectable items of electrical and electronics from the USA - most with the old two pin plug. Includes things like vintage tube radios, tube hi-fi equipment, tube and SS guitar amplifiers and effects devices, kitchen appliances and a host of others.

Few of the above can be safely used with an auto-transformer step-down.

All auto-transformer step-downs, with output voltages less than 220 volts and fitted with a general purpose connector are ** PROHIBITED ITEMS ** under the legally compulsory Australian Wiring Rules, AS3000 ( now known as AS/NZS 3000:2000 )

Means no electrician can legally supply or install one for you.

Despite this prohibition, there is ( AFAIK ) nothing to stop anyone selling them direct to the public in Australia.

Except a conscience.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I have seen the same units on sale in australia in the 1980s

I cant remember who was selling them though, and since I didn't buy one, I dont know if they were an isolation or auto transformer.

Agreed on all the other comments and to add insult to injury, they arent even really that cheap in price.

Reply to
kreed

ale -

two

The US has not used 2 pin sockets since the 1960....

The old 2 pin type can still be found in 50 year old homes however. Code requires their replacement.

Reply to
Lord Garth

"Lord Garth"

** Not relevant - the topic is US appliances.

Millions of them are fitted with a 2 pin plug and may be used with either a

3 pin or 2 pin outlet since they are compatible.

Such appliances are in two groups:

  1. Modern, non earthed " double insulated " types.
  2. Old style non earthed types, not double insulated.

All vintage US electrical and electronic gear will be in group 2 - and this includes stuff made right up to the 1980s.

In any case, only takes a moment to remove that pesky ground pin from a 3 pin plug to use it in a 2 pin outlet.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison