TV aerial signal meter/spectrum analyser

Anyone know where I can rent one for a day at a reasonable price.

Based near Coventry/Warwick/Leamington in the UK.

Aerial fitters charging 3* cost for parts and GBP75 per hour and GBP4 per meter of CT/100 coax is crazy. If I can rent a meter for a day I can do the whole job for less than these thieves wanted to charge just for the aerial (Televes Dat75).

I may even manage to do without replacing the existing aerial if an alignment tweak will actually bring in Mux/A from Sutton Coldfield above the noise. Strangely BBC1 (on adjacent channel) is poor too.

--
Dave Partridge (remove xwy from replyto email address)
Reply to

why not use a small portable TV?

Reply to
Mark

Because that wouldn't allow me to see the change in the channel 47 digital signal as I moved the aerial.

Reply to
David C. Partridge

I wonder why it is that you think that qualified aerial riggers, who have invested the considerable amounts of money that they have in test equipment ( have you any idea how much a digital specification spec anny costs ? ), ladders, a van, public liability insurance and all the rest of it, are robbers and thieves ?

Also, what makes you think that you can sort the problem that you have ? Just looking for signal strength readings on DTTV is not a satisfactory way of getting the best results. As you turn for maximum signal, you may well be peaking up on a reflection, and the BER could be going out of the window. If the reception is at all marginal where you are, then you will almost certainly not get away with an existing aerial, no matter what the BBC would have you believe with their self - serving adverts. The Dat75 aerial which you quote is a fairly special broadband antenna specifically designed for DTTV use, and will not be cheap.

I agree that £4 / m seems expensive for CT100, but I would be surprised if any reputable rigger was charging that much for it.

If you have to have a replacement aerial fitted for DTTV reception, you can expect to pay in the region of £150. Personally, if you add up the cost of the parts, then take into consideration the cost of your time whilst you're doing the job, then how much money you're going to lose by being off work with a broken leg from falling off the roof, then I think that this is a very reasonable amount.

Leave it to the professionals - you'll be glad you did in the end ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily