Cleaning mouse urine from PCB

Had an unfortunate incident of finding a dead, electrocuted mouse in electronic gear tonight, more unfortunately before it died, it managed to consume a large part of an antistatic bag, and left piss on several small areas of a PCB, including under some surface mount components, and around and under an 8 pin surface mount IC.

The PCB still works, so its worth a shot at cleaning it up, before its too late

Before I risk making the matter worse, can anyone suggest a cleaning method to get rid of as much of the residue as possible without damage, and minimising future damage.

Reply to
kreed

Maybe some gentle washing with warm distilled water and cotton buds, then making sure it's completely dry before re-applying power. I've cleaned contaminated boards that way and I don't remember having any problems afterward.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"kreed"

** Warm water and some dish washing liquid is all you need to take the * Micky * out of that mouse residue.

Gentle scrubbing with a tooth brush will help, then rinse with lotsa clean, warm water.

Dry with some warm air from a hair dryer.

No Daffy idea at all.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The only way is by gently licking the affected area.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

& watch out for tin whiskers.
Reply to
Robbo

Isopropyl alchohol works good. Make sure it is 99% as it leaves no residue.

Reply to
me

Seriously, mouse urine contains acid. Neutralise with mild alkaline (washing soda solution) and then wash with distilled water all allow to dry. All while unenergised of course.

Reply to
Suzy

That explains the sour taste.

Reply to
Robbo

Are you sure that won't dissolve any plastic/insulation?

Reply to
David W

Oh, and un powered! That explains the sizzling sensation...

Reply to
Allan