Chinglish

I'm servicing a headphone amp today. The client thoughtfully supplied the instruction manual with the unit.

Every page contains some of the most hilarious stuff I've read. Here's a couple of excerpts:

--- "The faucet of our product is standard 6.5mm output faucet, most of the faucet is selling in the market is standard 3.5mm output faucet; if you want to match it, you shall buy a faucet of 6.5mm turn to 3.5mm."

---

--- "NOTICE Our company keep the right of processing, if any changing, we are sorry for not informing you."

---

--- "SYSTEM UPGRADE

  1. Upgrading condition: Our product can be upgraded by the man who got electron audio technology competency."

---

-- Trevor Wilson

Trevor Wilson

I've met a lot of Chinese on the internet who love to speak English and are keen to meet people they can practice with. I think if they had more contact with English speakers they'd be much better at it.

Reply to
Davo

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:49:40 +0800, Davo put finger to keyboard and composed:

In this particular case it would be advisable for the Chinese manufacturer to engage a native English speaker (other than Google's translator) to proofread and correct their documentation. I would hope that all Western manufacturers use native speakers to produce docs for their target markets.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Dunno how I score then. I write manuals in Australian for products destined in large part for Merkins ;-)

Reply to
who where

I once had a job with a Japanese company, where I often had to translate Jinglish stuff into English for the benefit of the local tech's.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter