CFLs or LEDs for domestic lights?

My two big heavy Phillips are still going. yes, one was in the garage and still is, but the other was in the office until I decided it was too dim, then it went into the timed lights/stocks.

Reply to
terryc

ced a standard florescent tube. Two prongs on

r. Wiring out the ballast is optional.

se a CFL. A great big clunker built like a

ike to try new technologies first. As always,

n honkers, for his 12V down light system. He

r more conventional domestic fittings.

valent to what I was replacing, so I could best

47784
5

light is WHITE Not yellow and are wide spread

23w) LED and much better result...

ack thingo...

Take a look at this one, shows user pics of a bulb cut open and what is inside.

To me, that looks like a series capacitor type supply, and that doesn't look like an X class capacitor being used. The fact that it is advertised as 180 - 264 v only and that he had to mod it to work on 120v adds weight to that theory. Not good.

I also don't see a cover on it, looks as though the PCB's are simply stacked around the edge against each other. Could collapse when someone was turning it to insert or remove from socket ?

In this case, he claimed to be converting the bulb for use on 120v AC. Looks like it is not worth the effort, though he is probably like most of us on this group - do it to prove that it can be done ;)

Reply to
kreed