Canon camera parts?

Canon Powershot S2 S part needed. New or second hand.

Main Board is what I need. It has had some water ingress and subsequent damage.

I am in Melb. (or nearby at least)

This is my sons camera and I have no peviouse experience fixing cameras so don't know where to source this part,

Any help would be very much appreciated, Thanks

Reply to
Greolt

Yeah mate I have a Board, only $559 includes Fitting and also you get a new case and battery...

Sorry Greolt, but I think your chance of getting a 2nd hand pcb would be a million to 1. and if the main PCB has had water in it, what about the other electronics.. Cut your losses, that's why we have insurance companies, put a claim for accidental damage and get a new one...

Reply to
Allan

A work buddy of mine had a similar problem, worked out what part he needed and just ordered it from Canon, no problem. The problem came when the camera didn't work after the new part was fitted, so he was out of pocket for the part *and* a new camera :-(.

If you don't know what you're doing, probably better just to replace the whole camera.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Thanks for the advise people.

Maybe I will approach Canon for a price and make a judgment then.

Sounds a lot like a write off though.

Greolt

Reply to
Greolt

Considering it's a spare part (and a major one at that) it will probably end up costing more than the original price you paid for the camera!

You also need to consider that other parts of your camera may be water damaged, even though the damage may not be visible or obvious at the moment. Even if you do manage to replace the main board at a cost below that of a new camera you may find something else failing in 6 months time...

Reply to
rowan194

Don't forget also you can probably sell the damaged one on ebay to offset the cost of replacing it...

Please post back here what Canon quotes you, just for interests sake. :)

Reply to
rowan194

Call Canon -- they will sell part direct.

How do you know you need new main board?

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

Yes, just do what others do and sell it as 'untested'.

:D

Reply to
Simon Scott

If water's affected the image sensor/optics even slightly, it's probaly not worth trying to fix it. FWIW, a few years ago I priced an image sensor signal processing board for a Canon camcorder. They wanted $200.00 (exactly) for this postage stamp-sized board. It wasn't worth proceeding at that price.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Thanks for the response people.

I think I will cut my losses and consign it to the spares bin.

Not my loss anyway, it's my son's.:-)

Reply to
Greolt

Canon actually admits the problem with CCD in their cameras and will fix for free even after warranty.

Just sent one customer to them couple of weeks ago.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

Ouch. Main boards for small digicams as spare parts are often more expensive than a a whole working used camera, & replacing a main board on a digicam is a not a job for anyone without a great deal of experience on similar equipment. (100% surface mount parts on origami-ed flexi-boards, with dozens of fragile connectors, etc.) Worse yet; water ingress is pretty likely to have affected a lot more than the main board.

If it were me, I'd write it off & give my son a lecture about the importance of caring for expensive presents. ;)

To give you some idea of digicam spare parts pricing, (I'm also Melbourne-based, BTW), I own a Canon S30 myself, & cleverly manged to drop it on its rear a coupl eo f years ago, cracking the cover-glass on the back panel that protects the LCD panel. I had to buy a new rear cover for it, for a total cost of around $95 (inc GST) direct from Canon Melbournes Spare Parts department. I would expect a new main board for your S2 to be at least a couple of hundred dollars.

BTW, as long as you're clear about what part you want, the spare parts guys are generally pretty nice about looking up part numbers & prices, which will likely be cheaper than going to a dealer. If you want to keep them on-side, make up a list of part descriptions *before* you call, & keep it to as few parts as possible.

I doubt that the above is what you wanted to hear, but I hope it's of some help to you anyway. :^/

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Lionel