15 day heat wave and air conditioning

Let's put this thread to rest...can we all agree that...

Advantages of evaps. ACs........................... Cheap to buy Cheap to run Useful most of the time in dry climates like Adelaide

Disadvantages of evap. ACs................................... Marginal cooling effect, only 10degC or so under optimum conditions. They increase humidity - which can make it more uncomfortable. Useless most of the time for much of Australia, Sydney, Brisbane, Darwin etc. Useless anywhere when ambient humidity is high. Require a water supply

Advantages of refrigeration/heat pump ACs........................... Maximum cooling effect - 20degC or more is easily achieved. They decrease humidity - which makes it more comfortable. They always cool effectively and always decrease humidity. Usefull all of the time anywhere in OZ. Reverse cycle units can heat efficiently in winter

Disadvantages of refrigeration/heat pump ACs................................... Higher initial cost. Higher running costs - compressor, twin fans. Require water drainage.

Reply to
fritz

Incidentally, when a cool change hits a location and it rains, the moisture comes from the warm air at the location and not the cool air arriving. The warm moist air is forced to rise quickly where it condenses and rain is formed. If the warm air is too dry then it won't rain. Sort of shot yourself in the foot over that one. By definition, if it rains then it must have been humid.

Now tell me that is wrong, no doubt you will.

Yours and othe greenie comments confirm my suspicions that this thread is based on pro green propaganda more than common sense as I said before.

On another note....Refrigerated air works %100 of the time. Not just when the weather is right. It also works well in any location not just hot dry places It especially works well on humid days and that is when aircon is most desireable It takes moisture out of the air and not put it back in. It can also be an efficient heater outputting around double the heat energy in Joules that it uses in electrical energy input joules It has never been more affordable and is quite reasonable to install with flexible ducts etc. Split systems are very cheap.

Oh, BTW I take it as read that you will disagree with everthing I have said above so there is no need to reply, tho no doubt you will. I have no interest in continuing corresponding with internet lowlifes who never contribute anything positive, have limited knowledge on the subject and just vent their aggression in the manner that you do. I will however be glad to correct your lack of knowledge when it is displayed in future here or anywhere else. Maybe you can stir up that frequent poster who you enjoy fighting with to help you with the chip on your shoulder

Reply to
Bristan

Well an average temp in the house in the low twenties on any given day is acceptable to me.

Reply to
geoffjunkster

Well Geoff, why not use an electric fan. Even cheaper to run and:....

Works fine in Melbourne eastern states in my experience. Great cooling for 94.80% summer.

Reply to
Bristan

Dickhead, I told you I would correct you . They are jeffies words not mine. Obviously the irony has gone over your head.

Reply to
Bristan

moisture

yourself

been

Couldn't be bothered, the concept of warm moist air Vs HOT dry air seems to escape you for a start. And the concept of rapid air changes caused by strong wind also seems to be lost on you. We DO have long periods of hot dry air followed by rain in the southern states. But feel free to believe whatever you like, as long as you don't have to prove it. I sure don't give a rats how ignorant you choose to be.

You have proven you have none at least. Nor any consideration of anyone besides yourself.

To buy, yes compared to only a few years ago. And some people can even afford to run them at the moment.

said

Of course you agree with everything I have said then?

Are you looking in the mirror? I couldn't have put YOUR "contribution" better myself.

But you still haven't proven ANYTHING I have said that is actually wrong. Better luck with your next tilt at windmills.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Hi Tony,

I'm told they need to be hosed off at the close of every season to get rid of evaporated salts, mud etc.

However, after a few years (probably >5-8 years) they do need to be replaced since a/c effectiveness drops off. They did initially claim the celltek pads practically lasted forever, but that proved to be optimistic.

If you are handy it is an easy job to do yourself. I haven't yet priced replacement pads, but I'm told the celltek pads are not that inexpensive.

I wondered about that myself. At 22C here in Adelaide it is often 50% humidity. And early this morning it was 14C and 65% humidity.

I'm unable to tell the difference between 22C at 50% humidity, or 22C at 70% humidity. I thought I would easily know the difference but I don't.

Without the a/c if the house got to 25C I felt like turning on a fan. It was surprisingly consistent for me to do this.

I'm often seriously engrossed on my computer, and I was surprised to find that dead on 25C with the evaporative a/c running I felt like running a fan again.

Intuitively I'd have thought that the need to turn on a fan would occur lower than 25C because of the higher humidity. But it didn'r. I was a bit surprised at that.

Btw the Steadman Chart says 22C air at 50% humidity has an apparent temperature of 22C, while 22C air at 70% humidity has an apparent temperature of 24C. So my intuitive feeling is backed by scientific fact.

However, for me I could tell no difference between 50% and 70% humidity at 22C, despite the Steadman figures saying I should be able to.

Ross

Reply to
RMD

mine.

No correction or irony, you simply deleted the relevant information and headers I included, so you are not only stupid, but a liar as well.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

HI, take it from me , swampys ( evaps) are useless in humid weather. evaps are better, i hate these tosser that have it set at the government 24 c or whatever it is. that is just plain retard. they dont take into account the ammount of people in a building, and also what they are doing.they have it cycling the compressor in and out.

they have it set for a high temp on a hot day, cooling down its ok , but as soon as the compressor couts out , it starts warming up staright away., especially on a very hot day, you have it set to abvout 18 c,.

Reply to
mark krawczuk