Simple DVD player

Would a Rapsberry Pi Zero with
a https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid15%2488691322&&&adgroupid44%594567914&rlsatarget=pla-298926477009&abcId10%88856&adtype=pla&merchantid11%3798106&poi=&googleloc10%07416&device=c&campaignid80%5978797&crdt=0&chn=ps external
USB DVD drive function as an adequate DVD player?

If so, it could replace a much larger DVD player, that doesn't even have
HDMI. Both Pi and DVD drive seem small and lightweight enough that they
could just be discretely mounted behind the television.

I have no need for a full-blown Pi-driven media centre, but it would be
nice to be able to use it with a remote control - if not the one I
already have with the (Sony) TV, then the tiny little ones I have left
over from older Macintoshes.

What do you recommend?

Daniele

Re: Simple DVD player
I think it should work, I've used USB2.0 drives for DVDs and they are
fast enough to get the data off and I THINK the Pi with something like
VLC is well fast enough to do a decent sized flicker free display.

Looks like HDMI is the default sound output too, so that should all Just
Work (TM).

look exactly the same afterwards."

Re: Simple DVD player

Do you actually have VLC working on the Pi. I tried on a Pi 3 and it was
rubbish, stuttered on full screen.

LibreELEC, on the other hand, gave very good performance on the Pi 3.

I did ask a few weeks ago about this, on this group, but didn't get any
resolution apart from a suggestion that VLC/Raspbian were not using the
graphics chip properly.

Re: Simple DVD player

No, your experience trumps my guess.

yes. I remember you said that

Re: Simple DVD player

VLC doesn't use hardware acceleration by the Pi's powerful GPU.

LibraELEC does use the acceleration, and I used to play commercial DVDs
with no problems on my Pi2 until the old USB DVD writer packed up. I've
got a USB Blu-ray writer now, but haven't got around to trying it with
the Pi.

---druck

---

Re: Simple DVD player
On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 12:22:13 +0100

I currently have LibreELEC on a RPiZw that works just fine with the
remote of my LG dumb TV, no configuration required.  It takes its power
from the TV's USB port.
But I upload content from a PC, or stick it on a thumb drive.  We still
have a "proper" DVD player by the TV.  I wonder if the Pi could pull
content off a remote DVD drive on the LAN.

Re: Simple DVD player

iid15%2488691322&&&adgroupid44%594567914&rlsatarget=pla-298926477009&abcId10%88856&adtype=pla&merchantid11%3798106&poi=&googleloc10%07416&device=c&campaignid80%5978797&crdt=0&chn=ps

No reason why it should not work, even if you don't need a full media
centre OSMC/Kodi will quite happily play DVDs from an external USB player.
I would expect most if not all SONY HD TVs to support CEC so the remote
should work

That said I think you will find a dedicated DVD player is available
cheaper that a Pi,PSU,case & UDB DVD drive.

--
Excitement and danger await your induction to tracer duty!  As a tracer,
you must rid the computer networks of slimy, criminal data thieves.

I already have a Pi (and Pi Zero). The Pi and therefore the DVD player
can be powered from a USB port on the TV, and I'll also use the drive to
rip CDs into my MacBook.

So, even though I already have a dedicated DVD player, this will
simplify and tidy arrangements.

Daniele

Re: Simple DVD player

I know I can run a Pi from the power provided by a TV USB but it wasn't
clear to me that this set up would provide enough power to also run USB
peripherals off the Pi.

Have you checked the power provided by the TV USB port and the power
required by the DVD? I would have naively thought that a DVD was quite
power hungry.

Re: Simple DVD player
15-30W peak seems to be what people quote. For internals. There is some
evidence that USB drives  spin slower and use lower power lasers and
cant burn so fast.

For playback, it could be quite a lot less.

Re: Simple DVD player

I recently bought an LG USB-DVD drive (dead DVD drive in my old laptop
and the new one doesn't have an internal DVD). This unit is quite
obviously a laptop DVD shoved into a plastic box along with a USB adaptor.

No power consumption figures available, but I'd expect it to use less
power that a 3.5" form factor internal DVD.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

DVDs uses MPEG2 compression, so it would be a good idea buy the license for the rpi so the video stream could be decoded by the GPU:
http://www.raspberrypi.com/mpeg-2-license-key/

Bye Jack

Site Timeline